YMMV: Dog Day Afternoon
- Award Snub: This is the movie Pacino should have won Best Actor for. (the problem was being against Jack Nicholson in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest)
- Cazale's performance in this film was the only time he received a nomination - with the Golden Globes for Best Supporting Actor. He still didn't win.
- Harsher in Hindsight: A hostage offers cigarettes to Sal (played by Cazale) but he declines, saying "I don't want to get the cancer." Cazale died of cancer after making The Deer Hunter.
- Jerkass Woobie: Sonny and then some.
- Sal, too, though it's debatable how much of a jerkass he is compared to Sonny.
- Memetic Mutation: "Attica! Attica!" (Actually that's from the real life version of these events, but most people know it from this film.)
- Retroactive Recognition: One of the FBI agents on-scene is played by then-unknown Lance Henriksen. He's a silent background character until the end.
- Woobie: Leon. Sal can also be this at times.