- Alternative Character Interpretation: Is Perry a Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds as Truman thinks he is, or just a Draco in Leather Pants for Truman? Does he return or even know of Truman's feelings? Is Truman manipulating him for the sake of storytelling? Applies to the movie, to In Cold Blood, and in Real Life.
- Awesome Ego: Truman "sometimes I can't breathe when I think about how great my book is going to be" Capote.
- Draco in Leather Pants: Perry to Truman in-universe and in Real Life. In In Cold Blood, the lengthy descriptions about his "beautiful" tattoos and chiseled appearance do not help the blatant Meta-Ho Yay.
- Ho Yay: Truman and Perry, obviously. It's one of the central plots of the film, though it's left somewhat ambiguous as to whether or not anything could have come of it. Also a Meta example for the actual book, In Cold Blood, due to his portrayal in said book.
- Magnificent Bastard: Capote may be manipulative but he's so witty and stylish that you can't help but like him.
- Moral Event Horizon: The murders themselves.