- Anti-Climax Boss: Subverted - Lennox's death happens so suddenly at the end of the game that it looks practically like an offscreen death. This is deliberate, because Lennox isn't really dead - the whole game was just a cover so that the US could go after the real Lennox in secret, using the events of the game as cover.
- Awesome Music: The soundtrack in general, courtesy of Michael Giacchino and Chris Tilton.
- It's Short, so It Sucks : A common complaint about the game. Despite the levels being rather long, with the last one taking a full hour to complete if you're very good at the game, playtime doesn't amount to more than seven hours on average.
- Play the Game, Skip the Story: For a good number of players, the level intro cutscenes are nothing but an un-skippable annoyance at first, and a skippable annoyance in later runs. These cutscenes are the part of the game that contains the thickest part of the plot, the levels contain only barely-relatable "commando chatter" between the characters as the player moves on to mow down mooks by the dozen to Visual Effects of Awesome, and can be ignored to no detriment.
- Rated M for Money: Zig zagged - the violence in the game is as intense as that of any other FPS, there's a considerable amount of swearing, the protagonist is shown committing an act of torture and constantly smoking, but, bizarrely, there's no blood or gore in the game.