There's a buzz-buzz-buzz in the meadow / There's a buzz-buzz-buzz in trees / There's a buzz-buzz-buzz in the flowers / We're so busy being buzzy bees / We're busy buzzy with Buzzbee... It's great to be alive! / When you buzz, buzz, buzz, buzz, buzz, buzz with Buzzbee in The Hive!
Buzzbee at a laptopThe Hive
is an all-CGI
animated series that airs on Disney Junior
, proving that perhaps everything isn't worse with bees
. It was first seen on Playhouse Disney in non-U.S. markets in late 2010 and continued to air with the advent of the Disney Junior network, premiering in the United States in October, 2012 exclusively on the full 24-7 Disney Junior channel which replaced SOAP Net
The series features an almost entirely insect society, similar to Miss Spider's Sunny Patch Friends
, but with bees instead of spiders as the main characters of note. The adventures are presented through the eyes of Buzzbee, an excitable young boy bee who lives with his parents and two sisters and attends school in a meadow. He shares his adventures with many friends in a format that is generally Slice of Life
, but which also presents aesops
The U.S. airings of the program, rather than regionalizing the series, instead retain British voices and terminology, such as characters having "biscuits" instead of "cookies." The series is also very much a product of the 2010s, with one installment focusing on Buzzbee learning how to use e-mail after a local store implements a new e-mail order system where shoppers can e-mail a list and have items delivered.
The Hive features examples of:
- All Animals Are Dogs: Buzzbee's grandparents have a pet flea named Jump who beehaves just like a dog, yipping, fetching and tracking.
- All-CGI Cartoon
- An Aesop: Most every episode aims to teach one of some sort.
- Big Eater: Buzzbee can bee at times and it gets him in trouble in "Don't Bee Greedy."
- A Boy, a Girl, and a Baby Family: Buzzbee's family
- Couch Gag: the lovebirds at each episode's opening and closing
- Christmas Episode: "Babee's First Christmas / The Night Before Christmas / Buzzbee and the Snowbee"
- Dance Sensation: Buzzbee creates one in "Dancing Bee."
- Disembodied Eyebrows: Seen on worms on the show
- Most of the characters have disembodied hands and feet, and it can be very distracting, once you realize These characters have no arms or legs attaching their hands and feet to their bodies! (NB: You can see it on the page photo.)
- Family Theme Naming and Punny Name: Buzzbee, big sister Rubee, and Babee
- Fear of Thunder: Jasper the wasp
- Funny Animal: The characters are almost entirely funny animals, but with an occasional Furry Reminder, mostly related to things such as the bees beeing able to fly and beeing generally buzzy. They look Civilized Animal in appearance, but their beehaviour and mentality is almost entirely human nature and values. Despite the series name, however, they do not all live together in a hive with a bunch of other bees, nor do they take orders from a queen or have drones. There is a queen, but she isn't just some bee who sits around fat and popping out eggs, and there are worker bees, but again, they're not mindless workers.
- Imaginary Friend: Buzzbee creates one in "Imaginary Bee" when he gets bored of having nobody to play with.
- Kid-Appeal Character: Buzzbee. This trope did used to be called "The Bumblebee."
- Meaningful Name: There's Buzzbee, of course. He's a bee, and he buzzes about a lot. Most of the other characters have meaningful names as well.
- Mouse World: It could bee, though it's never said for sure.
- Santa Claus: Buzzbee is extremely disappointed when the guy at school presented as Papa Christmas is just his grandpa in a costume, but Rubee reassures him that Papa Christmas has lots of helpers.
- Seldom Seen Species: Bees are rare in a series that features anthropomorphic animals in place of humans, due to the fear people have.
- Slice of Life: When not teaching aesops, the show is generally this.
- Title Theme Tune: Though the title is only used at the very end.
- Theme Tune Cameo: The characters can sometimes bee heard humming the show's theme.