Western Animation: Poor Cinderella
is 1934 animated short produced by Fleischer Studios
. It is the inaugural entry in the Color Classics
series and is the only color appearance of Betty Boop
, who plays the titular character.
It is noted that this is the first Fleischer cartoon produced in color, in this case Cinecolor, as Walt Disney
had the exclusive rights to the Technicolor process for use in his Silly Symphonies
. It is also the first use of the Fleischers' patented "stereoptical" process that allows animated characters to exist over live models, giving the settings a sense of depth and realism.
This short is currently in the Public Domain
This short contains examples of:
- Animation Bump: This was the first Fleischer cartoon to use the 3D tabletop process, after all. Also, the animation on the human figures look excellent, something even Disney took years to perfect.
- Cinderella Circumstances
- "I Want" Song: The title song.
- Fairy Godmother: Duh.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: Cinderella gets her panties pulled up when the fairy godmother produces her ballgown.
- Mickey Mousing
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: A caricature of Rudy Vallee appears at the ball.
- Rotoscoping: Used for the horses' galloping as they begin to depart, and later the dance between Cinderella and her prince.
- Red-Headed Stepchild: Cinderella. Betty Boop's hair was colored red instead of the usual black to take advantage of the limited Cinecolor process.
- Spinning Clock Hands: Appears while Cinderella is being overworked.
- The End: The end title reading "Finis" appears in two closing doors that close in on the stepsisters' heads to shut them up.
- Through A Face Full OF Fur: At the end, Cinderella's stepsisters get into a fight, with their faces turning red and green as their voices get higher and higher.
- Triumphant Reprise: The title song is sung again as Cinderella and her prince ride of in their wedding coach.
- When the Clock Strikes Twelve
Remember when the clock strikes twelve, you must be home by then
For should you fail to be in bed, you'll be in rags again