Website: The Art Of Manliness
The Art Of Manliness is a weblog dedicated to giving and sharing advice on how to live up to traditional ideals of manliness; it could be summed up as a perpetually evolving manual on how to be a Gentleman and a Scholar.
This site includes examples of the following:
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Explored and ultimately debunked. See Nice Guys Finish Last entry below.
- Bad Ass: You should be one. It gives advice to advance towards that goal, sometimes as satire and sometimes as real advice.
- Badass Beard, Badass Mustache: Includes advice on how to grow and groom those.
- Badass Bookworm: It encourages being well read. There are many book reviews, lists, and passages.
- Badass in a Nice Suit: The site promotes wearing suits and looking as fashionable as possible.
- Cultured Badass
- Genius Bruiser
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: The site has several articles encouraging men to form close, personal friendships with other men and lament that close, modern male friends are often seen in a negative light.
- Manly Tears: There is an article detailing when a man should cry and when he shouldn't.
- Masculinity Tropes: They obviously show up a lot.
- Men Are Better Than Women: Averted; while it is chock full of advice towards men on how to live up to the traditional ideals of proactiveness, wisdom, personal strength, independence, elegance, and chivalry, it doesn't assert the superiority of men over women in any way, explicit or implicit. It should be noted that one of the site's owners and main contributors is a woman.
- Nice Guys Finish Last: Averted. The site promotes honesty, integrity, and proper manners. In a few podcasts and articles, it debunks the notion of the Dogged Nice Guy, who they say is often not nearly as nice as he thinks but is rather passive agressive and often too insecure to be honest. This gives the illusion that girls will go for the bad boys. In reality, it's all about confidence and a respectable, confident man will almost always succeed.
- Real Men Love Jesus: Downplayed. It is a secular website but many of the contributers are Christian so they mention their faith from time to time.
- Right Way/Wrong Way Pair: Dim and Dash showcase the differences between being a gentleman and being a brute. Dash would always use proper etiquette at the gym, on a date, etc. while Dim was always a doofus to those around him.
- Rated M for Manly: Oh yeah. Note that this refers to the classic definition of manliness (being a good husband and father, being honest and hard-working, protecting the weak, taking responsibilty for your own decisions, etc.), not to be confused with the exaggerated machismo the internet has turned the concept into.
- So You Want To: There is an entire ''So You Want To Be A... " series of articles spotlighting various jobs (artist, musician, etc.)
- Sharp-Dressed Man: Not only does the site encourage this look but gives several tips on how to be one.