Webcomic: Weird in a Can
Weird in a Can is a comedy webcomic by some moron calling himself Dr Furball.It's a tale of three teenage students at Mad Science Academy. One of them, Dr. George Furball III eats a magic lightbulb one day and gets electricity-projecting powers. The other two, Dr. Phillip Pain and Dr. Elizabeth Red do some stuff, too.It began as an intended graphic novel back in 2005. But four years (and 16 chapters) later, the author decided to redraw the worst of the art, fix the stories and dialogue, reverse the Cerebus Syndrome and post it on the internet. The first 2 chapters have been uploaded in their entirety (along with a Christmas Episode), and more should follow.
This comic provides examples of:
- Affectionate Parody: Chapter X-Mas.
- Write Who You Know: The cast is very much based on people in the author's life.
- Art Evolution: It's easy to see which panels were drawn in 2005 and which ones were redrawn in 2010 and 2011.
- Teleporters and Transporters: Phil builds one that runs on gasoline.
- Girl Posse: Liz has to deal with these.
- Schedule Slip: After the first half or so of Chapter 1 was posted, it took a year for the rest of the chapter to show up.
- Christmas Episode: A Great Big Scrooge-Up.
- Shout-Out: The first chapter references Pokémon. Lupin III and April O'Neil cameo in "A Light Snack".
- Phil's Gotta Have Green Hair: Although the comic's in black & white, colored illustration have shown him to be the only character with weirdly colored hair.
- Bonus Material: The Intermissions aren't usually necessary for the plot, but are usually just short gags serving as chapter breaks.