Webcomic: Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight
Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight
is a webcomic about Vincent Worthless, a young knight with a family curse that prevents him from using weapons until he kills a dragon, and Spiky, a smart-aleck dragon hatchling who becomes his squire. You can read it here.
This comic provides examples of:
- Alleged Steed: Foreshadowed on the page before but the example is here with Vincent getting stuck with Bruce, a mule.
- Apprentice: Several characters qualify, including Spiky as Vincent's squire and Vincent as a knight-in-training to various knights.
- Aristocrats Are Evil: The Baron qualifies as this trope.
- Being Good Sucks: Vincent, choosing to save the first dragon he met rather than killing it to free himself from the curse. He gives his reason here (Note: Link contains spoiler about the curse).
- Black Knight: Siron, who is always seen wearing black armour and is called the black knight several times. The earliest example is here.
- Breath Weapon: Spiky has this after drinking whiskey but it's implied that most dragons gain this ability when they grow older (an example of Spiky breathing fire without whiskey).
- Cartoon Juggling: Spiky with examples juggling balls here & here.
- Curse: Vincent's family is cursed with inability to wield or even touch any weapon. It will also prevent him living past his 26th year. The only way to break the curse is to kill a dragon.
- Drowning My Sorrows: Vincent has been known to do this on several occasions.
- Fail O'Suckyname: Vincent Worthless
- Fictional Document: The book in the library about the legend. It's not actually shown but its contents is first mentioned here.
- Hangover Sensitivity: Costin on this page & Vincent on this page.
- Hive Mind: All dragons share a collective mind except for Edgar's brother.
- Insanity Immunity: Tonio qualifies as this trope. His mind is hard to read and its implied to be connected to mental issues from his past in this page
- Katanas Are Just Better: Edgar qualifies as this trope.
- Lethal Diagnosis: Vincent's curse will prevent him living past his 26th year.
- Lennon Specs: Edgar qualifies as this trope and Vincent in this page.
- Man in a Kilt: Edgar qualifies as this trope and Vincent in this page.
- Mind Control: Spiky claims that all dragons have this ability; Spiky's usage of it is Played for Laughs. It's proven to be true, but it may fall under magic because the one example of it was already cursed by them and that was also being manipulated at the same time.
- Mistaken for Gay: Tonio does this to Roland & Vincent in this page.
- Name and Name: Played with; Spiky's full name, Spiky-Haired Dragon, is in the title and Vincent's surname is Worthless and he's a knight.
- Non-Human Sidekick: Spiky qualifies as this trope & occasionally Bruce (the mule).
- Our Dragons Are Different: Despite sharing several commonalities with the western type of dragon. In this setting, they have shapeshifting abilities, share a collective mind & cast magic, the most notable example of magic being the curse on Vincent's family.
- Promotion to Parent: Benedict, Vincent's brother, though this is prior to the start of the webcomic. However, it is mentioned here.
- Replacement Goldfish: Vincent is forced to replace his brother in servitude to the baron but this happens prior to the start of the webcomic.
- Shapeshifting: Dragons have this ability but it requires the mind and body for it. Edgar lacks the body to do so. Here's an example of Spiky practicing it.
- Teach Him Anger: Tonio does this with Vincent.
- Theme Tune: A Theme Song created by the Finnish band Cold Rat that can be downloaded here
- Unpronounceable: Spiky's real name is shown here.