Meta: Alright, I promise... but we're a little old for pinky swears. Shades of Green
Nilla: No such thing.
is a webcomic by Ricky Bieniek. Meta Knoxville, a 17-year-old crime-fighting punk rocker, narrates the story of how, at 14, he came to date Nilla Aferson
, and how he came to have green hair
. It's every bit as ridiculous as it sounds.
Updates very sporadically.
Includes examples of:
- Abuse Is Okay When It Is Female on Male: Nilla loves this trope.
- Anime Hair
- Art Evolution
- Author Appeal: See Anime Hair. Also, Nilla making silly faces.
- Author Avatar: Meta was one, years before the comic even began, but has since evolved into a completely different character.
- Berserk Button: Don't call Meta's friends nerds or losers!
- Bi the Way: Meta's mom, says Word of God.
- Cheshire Cat Grin: Meta gets one here.
- Cool Shades
- Cursed with Awesome: Meta and Nick have a unique eye condition that gives them hyper focus, but they'll faint if they use it for too long.
- Fainting: Every time Meta faints, take a shot.
- Fiery Redhead: Nilla
- Framing Device
- Gamer Chick: Nilla
- Geeky Turn-On: Meta's initial reason for taking a liking to Nilla, and vice-versa.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Jeremy has a tiny scar below his eye that has yet to be explained.
- Heroes Want Redheads: Take a guess.
- Idiot Hero
- Jerk Ass: Clint and Dirk.
- Jerk Jock: ...Clint and Dirk.
- Limited Wardrobe: Mostly averted, as the characters wear new clothes each day. Played somewhat straight with Nick, who wears the same hat and sweatshirt every day, but changes pants.
- Loads and Loads of Characters
- Luminescent Blush: Nilla, mostly, but Meta gets it every so often.
- Medium Awareness: Meta gets impaled by a word balloon in this strip.
- Mega Nekko: Past!Nilla
- Mood Whiplash: Here
- Nerds Are Sexy: Nilla
- Official Couple: Meta and Nilla.
- Oh Crap: Here, and again immediately afterwards.
- Only Six Faces: Averted for the most part. All the female characters even have their own distinctive "blush marks."
- Punny Name: See "Stealth Pun" below.
- Pre Ass Kicking One Liner: Seen here.
- Running Gag: Nicole calls Nilla by a different fictional redhead's name each time she addresses her.
- Schedule Slip
- Series Hiatus
- Shirtless Scene: Meta gets a brief one as he prepares for his date.
- Shout-Out: Loads. Meta singing the Pokémon theme, Nilla "saving a lot of data," Phoenix Wright appears on the DS, Meta has a Bowser plush in his closet, and that's not even mentioning that every single shirt Meta wears has some form of shout out on it.
- The Speechless: Missy is one, to everybody except Ken.
- Spoiled Sweet: Janice
- Stealth Pun: Clint and Dirk's names, specifically chosen to resemble "Cunt" and "Dick."
- Nilla's middle name (though not stated in the comic) is Winona, making her "Nilla W. Aferson."
- Take That: Meta jabs Twilight (and shipping in general) in this strip.
- Token Minority: Soup, primarily, but also Nicole (who is hispanic).
- Tsundere: Nilla. Best illustrated here.
- Unsound Effect
- Webcomic Time
- Write Who You Know: Word of God says that characters without a given last name (so far including Jeremy, Nicole, Julie, Jess, Soup, and TJ) are loosely based on friends of his.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Meta's hair is neon green in the present. Subverted somewhat in that he dyes it, and people react as though it's not something they see every day.