Webcomic: Cigarro & Cerveja
Cigarro & Cerveja
is a webcomic by Tony Esteves
which was initially published in The University of Alberta's student newspaper The Gateway
, but found a new life online. The strips generally revolve around Cigarro, the female
cigarette-smoking rabbit; her best friend, Cerveja, the male
beer-drinking goose, and their bizarre day to day lives with other Funny Animal
characters and the occasional human.
Though the comic ran continuously from 1998 and had an official final strip in 2008, the comic does continue but in a hugely reduced capacity with occasional one-shots due to Tony's other comic, Legendary Woodsman
The archive exists here
.Needs Wiki Magic Love
This webcomic contains examples of:
- Aborted Arc: A couple, most evident by Cigarro's possible wedding to herself being cut short by the strip ending.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Gal„o
- Casanova Wannabe: Tim the Beaver (though there is ambiguity as to whether he's this or Ambiguously Gay).
- Carnivore Confusion: Both main characters regularly eat meat (though it's unclear if either ate rabbit or goose).
- Deal with the Devil: Cerveja wagers souls on a frame of bowling. Cigarro loses and winds up becoming The Soulless until Cerveja gives it back.
- Feather Fingers: Cerveja
- Funny Animal: Everyone but Cigarro's and Cerveja's love interests, leading to Token Human.
- Furry Confusion: Occurs a few times.
- Good Angel, Bad Angel: Cigarro's shoulder angel refuses to speak to her because she never listens to it.
- Hand Puppet: Murray, who has a mind of his own
- In Love with Love: Cerveja has several women for whom he pines over the life of the comic. He rarely goes after them, and if he does, they never return his feelings.
- Insufferable Genius: Dr. Intelligencia, assuming he really is a genius.
- It's All About Me: Cigarro, but even she met her match when she and Cerveja met Tab in Japan.
- Jerk Ass: Cigarro mostly, Murray usually, and everyone else at least occasionally.
- Know-Nothing Know-It-All: Dr. Intelligencia
- Meaningful Name: Several characters, particularly the two title characters, are named the Portuguese word for their vice of choice. For example, Cigarro is a chain smoker, Cerveja loves beer, and Gal„o drinks a lot of coffee.
- Platonic Life Partners: The lead characters. A story arc touched upon Cigarro's possible more-than-platonic love for Cerveja.
- Tertiary Sexual Characteristics: Averted, as Cigarro has none and is mistaken for male several times.
- The Unfair Sex: Cigarro embodies this trope. Everyone around her acts as if her actions are as bad as they are, but she always feels that she's justified by simple virtue of being female.
- Of course, Cigarro applies the principles of the Unfair Sex to every aspect of her life.
- Unsatisfiable Customer: Like every other aspect of Cigarro's life. Of particular note is the time she demanded an employee carry her around a store on his shoulders.
- Viewer Gender Confusion: The two animals don't have any Tertiary Sexual Characteristics, this extends to in-universe also with Cigarro's general demeanor and attitude of shunning typically girly things making her often mistaken for male.