Web Video: Mission 404
An Internet-only short film, released in June 2013. Originally planned as a commercial for Orangina, it's also the first collaboration between Golden Moustache and Studio Bagel, the two most popular French humour channels on Youtube. But don't worry, there are subtitles available.The story begins with a worldwide Internet bug with some disastrous repercutions IRL. Only the ISA (Internet Security Agency), a bunch of super-trained soldiers, can enter the Internet to save the day. Except... it doesn't happen as planned : Martin, a young incompetent trainee accidentally enters the Internet too. Their mission is to save the Internet, and stay alive.And if that didn't sound epic enough, it's written by RaphaŽl Descraques, from Le Visiteur du Futur.
Mission 404 provides examples of the following tropes:
- Acting for Two / Talking to Himself: Mister V, playing Orangina, is also the voice of the Twitter bird.
- Affectionate Parody: Of the Internet, obviously.
- All-Star Cast: If your familiar with French youtubers, that is.
- Anthropomorphic Personification: The Websites: you've got a human version of Google, Facebook, Deezer, Instagram...
- Five-Man Band: When Martin joins the websites
- Big Good: Google, leader of the team and always there to save the day.
- The Hero: Martin, the main character and the one to kill Blaster eventually.
- The Lancer: Facebook
- The Big Guy: Deezer and Instagram
- The Smart Guy: Wikipedia, though not as smart as he pretend.
- The Chick: Youtube, the only girl besides Google.
- The Medic: Doctissimo, obviously.
- The Eight Ranger: Derikkson, literally : he's not a website but still fight against Blaster.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: The ISA, the civilians, the bad guys, the websites... and all that in less than 15 minutes.
- Product Placement: Self-parodied epically. The video was originally planned as an Orangina commercial; In the middle of the battle against Blaster, Youtube herself is stopped because of... a random guy making an add for Orangina. And have to wait 5 seconds to skip it. Everybody looks exasperated.
- Roger Rabbit Effect: All live-action, except for Twitter (a talking CGI bird) ans Nyan Car (who's just the original Nyan Cat).
- Self-Parody: On every level: a movie made specially for the Internet, with French actors who started on the Internet, parodying both Internet users and the Internet as a whole. And the biggest one: this youtube video features a character called...Youtube. They even have a personnification for the red bar and green thumbs up, and one character for the annoying ad before Youtube videos.
- Shout-Out: Sooooooo many :
- World of Badass: The Internet seems to be inhabited only by brave badass websites (Google's team), killer birds and cats (Twitter, Nyan Cat), psycopathic Evil Overlord (Blaster), hot girls army in the wood (the "Girls of your City"), super-trained soldiers (the ISA), pirates (illegal downloading sites)...
- X Meets Y: The Lord of the Rings meets TRON meets other big-budget American action movies.