Twoflower being a Widower.
- If Twoflower was a widower before the events in The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic, he and his wife planned on taking the trip to tour Ankh-Morpork together. When she passed way, Twoflower still left to see the world outside the walls of the Agatean Empire because he promised her.
- And as such, his continued optimism around Rincewind is really Twoflower hiding his grief with a big, innocent smile.
- If however, Twoflower is a widower after the events of the first two novels, his wife was killed intentionally by Lord Hong's men, and the battle with Lord Tang was planned. This was a punishment for Twoflower publishing "What I did on my Holidays", along with his imprisonment.
- His optimism can then be seen as him being strong in the face of his loss for his daughters' sake.
Twoflower's wife had a personality like Rincewind's.
- Rincewind pretty much makes this wild guess in-universe. He speculated that "Twoflower's wife must have been a very smart person," and she probably saw the worst in people. She got on well with Twoflower because she couldn't find the worst in him.