Visual Novel: Sepia Tears
Sepia Tears: Midwinter's Reprise
is a freeware OEL visual novel released by Team NEET on December 24, 2013 (PC/Mac/Linux) and February 28, 2014 (Android).
From the official site
"Sepia Tears is a love story.
There are no robots or vampires, for better or worse. It's about a high schooler named Mark, an ordinary protagonist with a memory that he tries very hard to forget. It's also about a girl named Myra who knows more about him than any stranger should, and who reminds him uncannily of his past.
Together, they search for a storybook romance and realize that love doesn't always bloom as neatly as it ought to."
This visual novel provides the following tropes.
- Affectionate Nickname: Rin. Her full name is Rina, but she prefers Rin (and is also a way for the developers to sneak in a reference to another Rin).
- Annoying Younger Sister: Rin. Though at times, she still cares for her older brother, Mark.
- Maid Cafe: Lukas is a huge patron of one.
- Meganekko: Lillian. But when she was younger, she didn't wear any glasses.
- Ordinary High-School Student: Mark. Even his own younger sister outranks him in terms of academic performance and general cheerfulness.
- Otaku: Rin and Lukas. Rin leans more towards Mecha anime and love stories, while Lukas is a huge fan of visual novels.
- Pair the Spares: Besides the Official Couple of Mark and Myra, Rin gets paired up with an unnamed admirer of hers, and there are hints that Lukas and Lillian hook up (that was after Mark confessed his feelings to Lillian, but he then ended his relationship with her to be with Myra).
- Real Place Background: While one half of the backgrounds is 3D renders, the other half consists of filtered photographic backgrounds depicting places in Toronto as well as the little-known Ontario town of Ajax. Makes sense, since majority of the developers are Canadian.
- Replacement Love Interest: Myra assumed the role of Mark's first love, even doing things like dyeing her hair and wearing the same ribbon the girl wore. Fortunately, the original girl is not dead; she just disappears from Mark's life after she dumped him.
- Shout-Out: Since this visual novel is made by a group of anime and visual novel fans themselves, it's par for the course for this to have several references.
- Snow Means Love: The story happens in the days leading to Christmas Eve.
- Super-Deformed: Several event CGs contain chibi characters. They even have their own special section in the game's gallery.
- Uptown Girl: Myra is the daughter of a wealthy man who helped build the town where the story takes place.