Video Game: Hometown Story
A Simulation Game developed by TOYBOX. It takes place in the same universe as its sister series, Harvest Moon, but otherwise is very different.A major difference between the two is you inherit a store instead of a farm. It focuses less on romance and more on general bonding than the recent Harvest Moon titles.
Hometown Story provides examples of:
- Blatant Lies: The back of the US box says that it was made by the creators of Harvest Moon, despite not being made by Marvelous. While Natsume did make a Harvest Moon game, it wasn't until a year after this game.
- Character Customization
- Guide Dang It: A lot of the game is not properly explained, even in the manual.
- One example of this are the passwords in the ledger (Passwords earned in the 3DS version are used for bonuses in a yet-to-be-released smartphone version).
- Another example is that the only way you can obtain wood (used for shop expansions) is to purchase it from the merchant who shows up at your shop at 2 PM.
- You also can't use any tools to gather items to sell, you can only pick things up that are laying on the ground, or purchase them from other shops and resell them at your own.
- Pre-Order Bonus: As with Harvest Moon games it comes with a plushy of one of the animals, this time Ember the dragon.
- Spiritual Successor: To Harvest Moon and arguably Animal Crossing.