Video Game: You Only Live Once
You Only Live Once Is a 2009 flash game by Raitendo. It can be found here and on Newgrounds here.One day Jemaine, a 28 year old forester from Kent, receives a note in the mail from the evil Sir Giant Pink Lizard stating that his girlfriend has been kidnapped. Jemaine sets out to rescue his girlfriend.The game's gimmick is that you literally only live once. Unlike most platformer games, if you die, you die for good. No extra lives, no one-ups, nothing. Instead, when you try to play the game again, you are treated to a series of animations regarding Jemaine's death (or, if you manage to beat the game, Sir Giant Pink Lizard's death). And you will never be able to play the game again. Ever. Well, technically, you can replay the game by simply deleting your flash history, but shhhhh!! We don't need to tell anyone that.
Contains Examples Of:
- Affectionate Parody: Of classic platformer games, specifically Mario.
- Alas, Poor Villain: If you manage to beat the game and kill Sir Giant Pink Lizard, you're given a series of animations similar to the bad endings. One of them is Sir Giant Pink Lizard's funeral being held by his minions. Another one has a single minion weeping at his grave.
- Back from the Dead: If you refresh the game multiple times after Jemaine's grave appears on the screen, you'll see a hand burst from the grave, followed by two after a few more refreshes, and finally his reanimated corpse◊ after yet a few more. It takes a lot of refreshes and a good bit of perseverance to get this, so be patient.
- Bottomless Pits: Fall down one and the ambulance drivers will say that the fall broke Jemaine's neck.
- Collision Damage: Lampshaded if you die by touching a mook:Cop: Evil Lackey #4, you are under arrest for the murder of Jemaine Nielsen!Evil Lackey #4: I swear, he just walked into me and fell down dead; I didn't do nothing!
- Death as Comedy
- Deconstructive Parody: Of platform games and the idea of multiple lives in video games
- Downer Ending: No matter how hard you try, the ending will always be this, for even if you do beat Sir Giant Pink Lizard, you'll be arrested for his murder.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: You only have one life in the game. Lose it and you won't even be able to replay it.
- Evil Brit: Sir Giant Pink Lizard.
- Final Death:
- The concept is taken to the logical extreme here. You die in the game and that's it, no playing it over again.
- The Sequel, "The Execution" performs this too, but with whoever killed you or Jemaine, for murdering Sir Giant Pink Lizard.
- Goomba Stomp: Jermaine is able to eliminate the minions or cannonballs by leaping on top of them. Don't try it on the spikes.
- Not the Intended Use: Exploits which allow replay. They allow the player to practice until they actually manage to beat the game.
- Reality Ensues: After beating Sir Giant Pink Lizard, Jemaine goes to rescue his girlfriend... and is promptly arrested by the police for the murder of Sir Giant Pink Lizard before he can do so.
- Sequel: "The Execution".
- Shout-Out: The ending, should you get it, includes one for the first Super Mario Bros. 1 game.
- Spikes of Doom