Enter the world where death is not the endVerge
is a Puzzle Platformer
from the makers of Depict1
. Created in 2008, it was the winner of the Commonplace Book
competition at the Tig Source forums
and got a updated flash version three years later.
You control a nameless boy who can't remember who or what he is. Tantalized by a mysterious angel-like figure, he explores the levels to solve puzzles, but will eventually die.
But dying isn't the end, and is in fact necessary
to solve some puzzles. Dying places you on the bottom of the world, filled with water, and certain markers can restore you to spots above. Yet even in the land of the dead, one must be wary of those who would steal your soul...
It can be found here
This game contains examples of:
- All There in the Manual: In the flash version, collecting the fairies in each level will unlock medals with descriptions that expand on the game's backstory. Here are the lines for those who can't or don't wish to play the game (or sign up to Newgrounds, which is the only way to get the medals) but would like to know the story. ...as my memories return... ...fading back to me... ...a part of him... ...I cannot be... ...making my way... ...toward this fate... ...I sense him out there... ...lying in wait... ...this vivid trance consumes me... ...and sets my spirit free.
- Ascend to a Higher Plane of Existence: The true ending.
- Cessation of Existence: Dying while already dead via the soulstealers causes this.
- Death Is Cheap: When you die, it's very, very easy to come back. It's not a plot point. It's a game mechanic. ... It might also be a plot point.
- It's a Wonderful Failure: Dying to a soul stealer makes you explode, and gets a special message.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia
- MacGuffin: The fairies.
- Mind Screw
- Multiple Endings
- Stupidity Is the Only Option: It never says you have to die. You just get to the point that jumping into a pit of spikes is the only thing that you can do. To find all the fairies in each level, you have to let enemies kill you.
- The Underworld: The bottom half of the game.
- Updated Re-release: The flash version.