Super Robot Wars EX
is not only the first Gaiden Game
for Super Robot Wars
, it's an odd one at that: looking like the love-child between Super Robot Wars 3
and Super Robot Wars 4
in terms of its visuals, the battle engine of EX
is slightly less crippled than 3
, but nowhere near what 4
offers. Fortunately, Banpresto decided to add in unit weapon upgrades, after the blatantly Nintendo Hard
scenarios that plagued nearly early player in 3
Unlike its predecessors, EX
is the first SRW to set itself in Another Dimension
, more specifically, the subterranean home of Masaki Andoh
, "La Gias". EX
offers a new direction at letting players see where the interrupting Masaki comes from, after helping the heroes out in Super Robot Wars 2
. At the same time, more original characters
are introduced, namely the rest of the Masou Kishin
("Elemental Lords") cast that reappear in subsequent SRWs. EX
features the "Multiple Scenario" system, where the plot is determined by the order the player selects the storyline. In this game, events are determined from the viewpoint of three characters: Masaki, Lune Zoldark
and Shu Shirakawa
The final promotional video for the Second Super Robot Wars Original Generation
reveals the events of EX
occur, including the debut of the Masou Kishin
cast into the main Original Generation continuity
. However, only Masaki and Lune's routes are playable; Shu's scenario will be available as Downloadable Content
, as part of the premium edition of Super Robot Wars Original Generation: Infinite Battle
Tropes common to this game are:
- Bag of Spilling: Averted for first time in SRW. Characters from previous games start with their upgraded mecha instead of their usual starters (the "trinity" of Getter Robo, Mazinger Z and Mobile Suit Gundam start with the Getter Dragon, Mazinger Z Jet Scrander and Nu Gundam.
- Civil War: The events of EX has rolled out the "Langran Civil Wars", between the heroic "Kingdom of Langran" and the ambitious "Shutendonias Alliance".
- Clarke's Third Law: Directly quoted in the Second Original Generation. The design specifications of a "Masouki" (Elemental Machine) is nearly identical to a Personal Trooper. One of the few things that cannot be analyzed is a Masouki's power source.
- Fighting Your Friend: Early in Masaki's storyline, Judau Ashta and Seabook Arno are forced to fight your team since Shutendonias forces hold Judau's sister Leina as a hostage.
- With certain choices, the player can face Shu and his allies in Lune's route and vice versa.
- Gaiden Game: The first for SRW. You don't really need to play 2 or 3 to enjoy EX, but it does help establish parts of 4/F/F Final and Super Robot Wars Alpha Gaiden.
- Necessarily Evil, Well-Intentioned Extremist: Prince Feilord Grania Bilseia plans to conquer all of La Gias due to a being terminally ill and won't live long, thus he wishes to unite the subterranean world to ensure everlasting peace. Also, General Kirkus Zan Valfarbia, who's secretly cooperating with Luozorl Zoran Roiel so he can complete the Super Masouki "Euclid", believes it will provide Langran with enough power to oppose Shutendonias.
- Original Generation: Aside from the recurring Masaki, Lune and Shu, the Heralds of the Elemental Lords Hwang Yang Long, Tytti Noorbuck and Mio Sasuga make their debut in EX, including many other characters of La Gias that reappear in future Masou Kishin-centered storylines.
- Summoning Ritual: How the surface dwellers, as in all the licensed series, make their way into La Gias. Turns out Feilord was responsible for the mass summoning.