Video Game: Submarine Attack
Submarine Attack is a side-scrolling shoot-em-up game for the Sega Master System II, released in 1993. It features an advanced submarine that you, The Captain, must use to destroy the enemy. Although you start with rather amazingly poor shooting skills, you can improve your submarine with upgrades obtained from destroyed enemies. Sometimes you can obtain health and additional lives by the same means. First, your enemies are human, but soon they'll change into many monstrous creatures of mythology and other worlds, before you meet the final boss. The game has unlimited continues.
This game provides examples of:
- Advancing Wall of Doom - Combined with Deadly Walls.
- Battleship Raid - One of the bosses takes up about half a level.
- Beam Spam - More like missile spam. Except in the last level, where you gain lasers for no reason whatsoever.
- Cutscene - Combined with Loading Screen.
- Deadly Gas - Air bubbles can destroy you.
- Descending Ceiling - One of the bosses does this.
- Dramatic Ellipsis - Invoked in sound and lack of enemies. Meet the Final Boss!
- Everything Trying to Kill You
- Go for the Eye - Several bosses.
- Hit Points - You have three.
- Instant Death Radius - Especially the last boss.
- Shows Damage - When your submarine flashes, get a health item. Or die at the next hit.
- Superior Firepower: Bombers - Some enemies in earlier stages.
- Superior Firepower Surface To Air Missiles - How you destroy airplanes and ships.
- Under the Sea - It's a submarine game, so Yeah...
- Underwater Base - One of the first bosses.
- Underwater Boss Battle - Most bosses.
- Underwater Ruins - Obviously those of Atlantis. Beware their guardian.