Video Game: Shining Blade
A prequel of sorts to Shining Hearts, with Rick, Amil, Airy and Nereis from that game making appearances. It diverges from the format of previous Shining games in that the Concerto combat system is a development of the combat system in Valkyria Chronicles.
Tropes found in Shining Hearts include:
- A Boy and His X: Rage and his talking sentient sword.
- Equippable Ally: Yukihime, Rage's Talking Weapon, is actually a Spirit, is female, pretty, and can manifest a human form, in addition to her usual mode as a sword.
- Also, the Shining Hearts heroines are Soulblades, which are essentially human souls that can manifest as weapons (with a certain amount of effort). Amil, Airy and Nereis transform into different weapon options for Rick to use.
- Expy: Fenrir, one of the characters, is pretty much Doggie Kruiser without his badge and D-Sword Vega.
- Katanas Are Just Better: Yukihime is a katana. Sakuya, Rage & Rick's teacher, also uses a katana as her weapon.
- Mystical White Hair: Altina, the elf princess who finds Rage all washed up on a beach.