Moebius: Empire Rising is an Adventure Game written by Jane Jensen, of Gabriel Knight fame, and developed by Phoenix Online Studios, of Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller fame. It was developed with the Unity Engine and released on Steam in 2014.Described as "A metaphysical thriller", the game follows Malachi Rector, an evaluator of antiques with a "photographic memory and genius for history". Asked by a secret government agency to investigate the life of a dead woman, he discovers a level to history, even to space and time, deeper than he had known.Official site.
Moebius contains examples of:
- And Now for Someone Completely Different: Control temporarily switches over to David during Malachi's first panic attack. The player also controls David for part of the last chapter, when he and Helene are escaping Qatar.
- Awesome Mc Coolname: Malachi Rector.
- Badass in Distress: David gets abducted near the end of the game. By the time Malachi can come to the rescue, he's partway through escaping with the help of Helene.
- Expy: An important plot element, as people being just like specific historical figures is the crux of the plot.
- Fun with Acronyms: A secret government agency named "Future Intelligence Technology Agency" (F.I.T.A.).
- Incredibly Lame Pun: Some of David's jokes consist of these.
- Living Emotional Crutch: David serves this role for Malachi, helping him control his panic attacks and become less of a Jerkass.
- Man of Wealth and Taste: Malachi is wealthy enough such that some things in the game are explained by him simply buying them, and he has strong opinions on taste.
- Photographic Memory: A skill possessed by our protagonist, and one that apparently proves quite useful in evaluating antiques.
- Psychic Nosebleed: Malachi suffers from these when he purposely uses his abilities at the end.
- Quintessential British Gentleman: Malachi is British, and very very cultured.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Malachi goes on one after David is kidnapped. He does quite a few things that he normally wouldn't, like holding a knife to someone's throat, and trudging through murky tunnels.
- Sherlock Scan: Malachi does this to all antiques and people he sees, represented by mini-games of guessing or matching specific traits to things in his photographic memory.
- Spiritual Successor: To Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller for being written by Jane Jensen, using the same (slightly buggy and awkward) engine, having a lot of detail in furniture and decorations, and an emphasis on psychic powers.