TV Tropes Needs Your Help
View Kickstarter Project
Big things are happening on TV Tropes! New admins, new designs, fewer ads, mobile versions, beta testing opportunities, thematic discovery engine, fun trope tools and toys, and much more - Learn how to help here
and discuss here
- Size/Type: Medium Outsider (Extraplanar, Evil)
- Hit Dice: 12d8+60 (114 hp)
- Initiative: +3
- Speed: 60 ft. (12 squares)
- Armor Class: 27 (+3 Dex, +14 natural)
- Base Attack/Grapple: +12/+20
- Attack: Claw +20 melee (1d6+8)
- Full Attack: 2 claws +20 melee (1d6+8) and bite +15 melee (1d8+4)
- Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
- Special Attacks: Roar, pounce, improved grab, rake 1d6+8, spell-like abilities
- Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/good and silver, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to electricity and petrification, lay on hands, low-light vision, protective aura, resistance to cold 10 and sonic 10, speak with animals, spell resistance 28
- Saves: Fort +13 (+17 against poison), Ref +11, Will +10
- Abilities: Str 27, Dex 17, Con 20, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 15
- Skills: Balance +22, Concentration +12, Diplomacy +4, Hide +22, Intimidate +10, Jump +35, Knowledge (any) +17, Listen +17, Move Silently +22, Sense Motive +17, Spot +17, Survival +17
- Feats: Ability Focus (roar), Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack, Track
- Environment: A evil-aligned plane.
- Organization: Solitary or pride (4-9)
- Challenge Rating: 12
- Treasure: No coins; double goods; standard items
- Alignment: Always neutral evil
- Advancement: 13-18 HD (Medium); 19-36 HD (Large)
- Level Adjustment: —
- No tropes launched, lots of examples added. Tries hard to keep fanon/fangirlish bias out of examples, but is sadly only human. Freaking loves the Kingdom Hearts series, though Silent Hill is a close second. Not actually into D&D that much, the name popped into my head after the name Leonine was taken. The 'L' stands for 'Leonal', in case one hadn't surmised that. If one knows a Leonal (or a Keyblade277) on the internets, it's her. A prime example of Most Tropers Are Young Nerds, Yaoi Fangirl, Smug Snake, and False Reassurance.
- Leonals like their battles as straightforward as can be. They begin with a roar to put their foes off balance, then follow up with a frenzy of claw and bite attacks. They closely coordinate with others in their pride, watching one another’s flanks and setting up devastating attacks. A leonal’s natural weapons, as well as any weapons it wields, are treated as evil-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
- Roar (Su)
- A leonal can roar up to three times per day. Each roar releases a blast in a 60-foot cone that duplicates the effects of an unholy word spell and deals an extra 2d6 points of sonic damage (Fortitude DC 20 negates). The save DC is Charisma-based.
- Pounce (Ex)
- If a leonal charges a foe, it can make a full attack, including two rake attacks.
- Improved Grab (Ex)
- To use this ability, a leonal must hit with its bite attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can rake.
- Rake (Ex)
- Attack bonus +20 melee, damage 1d6+8.
- Spell-Like Abilities
- At will—detect thoughts, fireball (DC 15), hold monster (DC 17), wall of force; 3/day—inflict critical wounds (DC 16), neutralize poison, inflict disease; 1/day—heal (DC 18). Caster level 10th. The save D Cs are Charisma-based.
- Protective Aura (Su)
- Against attacks made or effects created by good creatures, this ability provides a +4 deflection bonus to AC and a +4 resistance bonus on saving throws to anyone within 20 feet of the leonal. Otherwise, it functions as a magic circle against evil effect and a lesser globe of invulnerability, both with a radius of 20 feet (caster level equals leonal’s HD). (The defensive benefits from the circle are not included in a leonal’s statistics block.)
- Leonals have a +4 racial bonus on Balance, Hide, and Move Silently checks.