* AuthorExistenceFailure: ''Princess Mononoke'' was the last film Yoshifumi Kondo worked on as an animator before his death from aortic dissection in 1998.
** The English dub of this film and all later Ghibli films featured well-known celebrities. Creator/BillyCrudup, Creator/ClaireDanes, Creator/GillianAnderson, Creator/MinnieDriver, Creator/BillyBobThornton, Creator/JadaPinkettSmith, and Creator/KeithDavid, among others.
** The original Japanese version is an interesting case: ''Princess Mononoke'' is the first Ghibli film that uses celebrities to provide the voice of the main characters of this film; since then, all of the Ghibli films used celebrities to voice the main characters. The only known professional with a named role in the movie is Creator/SumiShimamoto as Toki, Lady Eboshi's servant.
* CrossDressingVoices: Moro is voiced by a man, in this case Akihiro Miwa, in the Japanese version. This comes from Japanese mythology which says that wolves are always male-voiced (and cats always female-voiced), regardless of sex.
* ExecutiveMeddling: Fortunately averted, as opposed to earlier efforts to adapt Miyazaki's films into English. Miramax (read: the Weinstein brothers) wanted to cut 20 minutes from the English release, which was explicitly forbidden by the Disney/Ghibli distribution agreement. When Studio Ghibli producer Toshio Suzuki found this out after a very successful screening for the New York Film Critics Circle, he allegedly sent the Miramax executives a katana with a note attached: "No cuts."
* ExtremelyLengthyCreation: Creator/HayaoMiyazaki took 16 years to fully develop the characters and plot of the film.
* KeepCirculatingTheTapes: Disney's sale of Miramax was in the way of any possible re-release in the US for several years, although Alliance Films in Canada was still able to print its release. Miramax's rights lapsed at some point and Disney re-issued the film (officially re-printing the original DVD release from Buena Vista Home Entertainment re-badged in Disney's Ghibli package design and with almost every mention of Miramax removed) in 2012, with a Blu-ray release in 2014.
* SoMyKidsCanWatch: Billy Bob Thornton explains on the DVD that this is part of the reason he took the part of Jigo. [[WhatDoYouMeanItsNotForKids Unfortunately…]]
** The earliest concepts Miyazaki had that involved a Mononoke spirit was actually his re-telling of ''Beauty and the Beast''.
** Leonardo [=DiCaprio=] was considered to voice Ashitaka in the English dub. Possible CastingGag since Claire Danes was the voice of San, which would have made this the [[Film/WilliamShakespearesRomeoAndJuliet second time]] they had been StarCrossedLovers.
** Miyazaki intended for this film to be his last, but came out of retirement after conceiving the story for ''Anime/SpiritedAway''.
** The first title for the movie would have been "The Legend of Ashitaka".