Trivia: A Fine Mess
- Creator Backlash: Edwards claimed to not remember much about the process of making the movie and told people not to see it. They listened. The critics didn't like it either.
- However, it does have its fans.
- Executive Meddling/Screwed by the Network/What Could Have Been: Originally intended as a heavily improvised homage to Laurel and Hardy's 1932 short The Music Box with Richard Pryor and Burt Reynolds as the leads, in the spirit of Edwards' The Party. Problems with the studio are among the reasons why it eventually turned into the scripted chase comedy that was released.
- Fake Nationality: A Cuban playing an Italian.
- Hey, It's That Guy!: Det. Andy Sipowicz is Spence's brother-in-law who loans Spence and Dennis the truck to deliver the piano, and Spence gives him the stolen Cadillac without doors.
- Nepotism: Ellen is played by director Blake Edwards' daughter.
- Toplessness from the Back: Provides the page photo.