Toys: Giant Microbes
There is a point when something becomes so nerdy it becomes awesome. Giant Microbes are such a thing, proving that even Ebola is better with plushies. Bordering on the Ugly Cute in places, these were created as an educational aid from real images of real microbes and are surprisingly accurate, despite the eyes, fluff, bright colours and x1,000,000+ size increase. Some examples are also currently housed in the Museum Of Modern Art, New York.They can, however, make rather tricky gifts. I mean, who wants to get or give chlamydia for Christmas? If you are looking for the monster type, see Mega-Microbes.
Tropes associated with this toy include:
- Everything's Better with Plushies: Their raison d'Ítre.
- Evil Albino: Anthrax
- No Mouth: Just a pair of big, adorable plastic eyes.
- Only Six Faces: Given how similar-looking many bacteria or viruses are, there are several palette swaps (ex. Cold/HIV/Hepatitis) and designers need to use some artistic license with certain designs, such as Flesh Eating Disease having a fork and knife, Mad Cow Disease being patterned like a Holstein, and West Nile and Dengue Fever having Egyptian eye markings.
- Pink Girl, Blue Boy: The egg cell and the sperm cell wear a pink and blue hairbow respectively.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: They're all adorable.