- "4st 7lb" is a graphic account of a girl with anorexia, filled with some of the most heartbreakingly beautiful lyrics Richey James (who struggled with anorexia himself) has ever written, in particular:
"I want to walk in the snow and not leave a footprint
I want to walk in the snow and not soil its purity."
- "Nobody Loved You". A song written by Nicky Wire (bassist/lyricist) about the loss of Richey Edwards (former lyricist/guitarist, now missing). Example lines. "Cherry blossom tree/but at least you are free/Nobody loved you/Like me" can make one tear up.
- "Sepia". A B-Side, also about Richey.
- "William's Last Words" was written by Richey himself. "Leave me go Jesus, I love you yeah I love you, just let me go"... "I'm really tired, I want to go to sleep and wake up happy"... it sounds rather like a suicide note. It's sung by Nicky Wire, who doesn't have a particularly strong voice, but the strained and cracked sound of his singing just makes it hit that much harder.
- "Ocean Spray" was written about James Dean Bradfield's mother's battle with cancer, and his visits to her. The lyrics are all heartbreaking.
- "If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next."
- "Small Black Flowers That Grow In The Sky."
- "This Is Yesterday."
- The music videos to "Rewind The Film" and "Anthem For A Lost Cause".
- Any interview where Nicky Wire is talking about Richey, usually holding back tears.
- "Little Baby Nothing", a hopeless rail against 20th century media misogyny;
"No god reached me, faded films and loving booksBlack and white TVAll the world does not exist for meAnd if I'm starving, you can feed me lollipopsYour diet will crush meMy life just an old man's memoryLittle baby nothingLoveless slavery, lips kissing emptyDress your life in loathingBreaking your mind with Barbie Doll futilityLittle baby nothingSexually free, made-up to breakupAssassinated beautyMoths broken up, quenched at lastThe vermin allowed a thought to pass them byYou are pure, you are snowWe are the useless sluts that they mouldRock 'n' roll is our epiphanyCulture, alienation, boredom and despair"
Tear Jerker / Manic Street Preachers
This Welsh alternative rock band has some very heartbreaking songs.