- The look on Nick's face when it's revealed that Danny is in on the conspiracy. Well, sort of. It's still heartbreaking.
Nick: (on the verge of tears) Danny, no!
- There's even a moment where the viewer is led to believe that Danny has killed Nicholas.
- And, subsequently, their confrontation over whether or not to persecute the town. Danny's anguished denial over his father's innocence is heartbreaking.
- When Danny gets shot, and then the police station blows up and Nicholas finds Danny, covered in blood, and starts crying, saying, "Everything's going to be fine."
- Danny facing his dad in the pub on the subject of his mum: If she could see what you've become, I think she'd kill herself all over again.
- Nick tells Danny not to use the term Traffic "Accident" and instead use Traffic "Collision". When Danny asks why, Nick says that "accident" implies that no one was at fault. Later Nicholas asks how Danny's mother died. He responds innocently that it was a Traffic Collision. While he could just be taking Nick too literally, that could imply that Danny believes that someone was at fault for her death. It's later confirmed that she intentionally crashed her car and killed herself.
- It's a small moment and the character in question is usually a bit of a Jerk Ass, but seeing George Merchant broken up in the pub after the deaths of Martin Blower and Eve Draper. They might not have been the most likeable people, but they were clearly his close friends and Merchant seems to be getting drunk in an attempt to drown his sorrows.
- Michael weeping as his mug shot is taken. Suddenly it hits home that this is a mentally disabled man who was ruthlessly exploited by the town council to do their dirty work.