* For all its spoileriffic qualities, the narration at the beginning of the theatrical version does elicit a twinge of sympathy for Dr. Schreber as he makes an anguished confession: "I have betrayed my own kind."
* More sympathy for Dr. Schreber: the flashback to [[spoiler: the badly beaten and bleeding doctor being forced to erase all memory of his origins]].
* In the director's cut: the hooker May's little girl. [[spoiler: She saw everything that happened to her mother, and who did it, and drew a picture of it with her crayons.]] Emma finds her quivering in terror under the bed.
* [[spoiler:Inspector Burmstead]]'s death.
* Despite the fact that he was a [[spoiler:serial killer and a parasitic alien, there's something really sad about Mr. Hand's final scene before John opens the door and letting the sunlight in.]]