"A promise that I keep, I'll never share, I'll never speak. To my grave the secret goes.
The beating heart, the beating heart, where mystic creatures wandered far, through these veins the wolf blood flows.
A change will come I know behold my future, as sure as day returns to night,
the passion of my clan, to be at one with them, and hidden from the world outside.
A promise that I keep, I'll never share I'll never speak, through these veins the wolf blood flows.
- "A Promise That I Keep", Wolfblood opening theme song.
Wolfblood is an original CBBC drama that aired in Autumn 2012, with series 2 starting in September 2013. Set in Northumbria the series follows Maddy a teenage Wolfblood. Wolfbloods are humans with enhanced senses and the ability to transform into a wolf. She and her family have kept their secret for years but when new boy, and fellow Wolfblood, Rhydian moves in her secret and friendships are put into jeopardy.
The series is mostly allegorical, with the show's theme of being a Wolfblood as a metaphor for other social outcasts.
This show provides examples of:
- Accidental Athlete: In "The Call of the Wild", Rhydian is recruited to play goalkeeper for the school football team after her intercepts a wild kick in the playground that would have hit Maddy.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Tom thinks Maddy is interested in Rhydian for this reason.
- Agent Mulder: Shannon.
- Aliens in Cardiff: Werewolves in Northumbria!
- Call Back: In S2E3, a forensic scientist investigating a Wolfblood skeleton, she ask's whether they know what Occam's Razor is. Considering Shannon name-dropped it last series, he gives a pretty accurate explanation of what it is.
- Insistent Terminology: "It's Wolfblood, not werewolf. We're not monsters."
- Keeping Secrets Sucks: Maddy hates lying to her friends but has no choice but to.
- Al least until the end of series 1, where Tom and Shannon find out
- Our Werewolves Are Different: Obviously.
- Supernatural Gold Eyes: Whenever a wolfblood gets close to transforming their eyes turn yellow, similar to a wolfs.
- Super Senses: Comes with being a Wolfblood. You can see smell trails!
- Then taken even higher with their "Eolas" sense: they can see, hear, and smell everything around them, even from miles away! However, this sense has two major drawbacks: being near manmade objects (especially the louder ones) hurts them badly, and it's incredibly addictive. There's a good reason why tame Wolfbloods are forbidden from using it.
- Tainted Veins: As with Supernatural Gold Eyes above a side effect of pre-transforming.
- Theme Naming: Lampshaded - three girls whose names all begin with "K" form a clique, so everyone calls them "the Three Ks".
- The Nose Knows: Wolfbloods have incredibly an incredibly keen sense of smell, being based off of wolves
- Troubled, but Cute: Rhydian.
Episodes of this series provide examples of:
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Random people turning out to be Rhydian's relations is practically one of the show's themes.
- Title Drop: Lone Wolf, Occam's Razor, Wolfsbane
- Also seen in many episodes relating the the show's title, which is hard to avoid as they themselves are called Wolfbloods.