"A promise that I keep, I'll never share, I'll never speak. To my grave the secret goes.
The beating heart, the beating heart, where mystic creatures wandered far, through these veins the wolf blood flows.
A change will come I know behold my future, as sure as day returns to night,
the passion of my clan, to be at one with them, and hidden from the world outside.
A promise that I keep, I'll never share I'll never speak, through these veins the wolf blood flows.
- "A Promise That I Keep", Wolfblood opening theme song.Wolfblood is an original CBBC drama that aired in Autumn 2012, with series 2 starting in September 2013. Set in Northumbria the series follows Maddy a teenage Wolfblood. Wolfbloods are humans with enhanced senses and the ability to transform into a wolf. She and her family have kept their secret for years but when new boy, and fellow Wolfblood, Rhydian moves in her secret and friendships are put into jeopardy.The series is mostly allegorical, with the show's theme of being a Wolfblood as a metaphor for other social outcasts.
This show provides examples of:
- Accidental Athlete: In "The Call of the Wild", Rhydian is recruited to play goalkeeper for the school football team after he intercepts a wild kick in the playground that would have broken one of the school windows.
- Agent Mulder: Shannon.
- Aliens in Cardiff: Werewolves in Northumbria!
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Tom thinks Maddy is interested in Rhydian for this reason.
- Alpha Bitch: Kara and Kay play this role to the hilt. In Maddy Cool, Maddy herself takes on this role, until she realizes she just doesn't have in it her to be this cruel.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: Maddy learns to dance better then Kay just by watching her do it for all of 4 minutes! Given that Rhydian tries to prevent her from doing it, it is highly likely she was using her Wolfblood abilities to achieve this feat.
- Call Back: In S2E3, a forensic scientist investigating a Wolfblood skeleton, she ask's whether they know what Occam's Razor is. Considering Shannon name-dropped it last series, Tom gives a pretty accurate explanation of what it is.
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique: Eolas can enhance a Wolfblood's natural senses to an almost psychic level of perception, but it's also incredibly addictive and will have detrimental effects on the mind of the user, not to mention if you use it around electrical energy fields, it's really going to hurt! This is why "tame" Wolfbloods agreed to conceal the existence of Eolas. Oddly, Rhydian uses Eolas with no ill effects and when questioned about it, all he can theorise is that he is somehow immune to the side effects. Somehow, Maddy uses it in season 2 with greater control.
- Dumb Blonde: Katrina is so intellectually incapable that even academically challenged characters sneer at her stupidity.
- G-Rated Drug: In order to give Shannon a confidence boost to perform on stage, Jana gives her a bottle of werewolf healing potion and instructs her never to consume more then two drops. Maybe it isn't so G-Rated because Shannon quickly becomes addicted to using it and later in the episode, overdoses on it with the primary side effect being that she gains the sensory perceptions of a Wolfblood, the experience being quite similar to a drug high. She even ransacks Jana's home looking for more potion when she craves another dose.
- Insistent Terminology: "It's Wolfblood, not werewolf. We're not monsters."
- Keeping Secrets Sucks: Maddy hates lying to her friends but has no choice but to.
- Al least until the end of series 1, where Tom and Shannon find out
- Mugging the Monster: Disoriented from the use of Eolas, Maddy is cornered by a mugger and her three friends. When she starts growling at them, their first response is to laugh. When her eyes turn yellow, it's not so funny anymore and they instantly backpedal.
- My God, What Have I Done?: After delivering a spirit crushing public humiliation to Kay in retaliation for an entire episode of backstabbing, Maddy realizes that no matter how much you despise someone, there is no excuse for making someone have an emotional breakdown on their birthday.
- Our Werewolves Are Different: Obviously. Maddy even references this when Rhydian assumes he's a werewolf because he was bitten by one (it's because his parents are werewolves).
- Secret Keeper: Having seen Maddy transform from wolf to human, Tom and eventually Shannon make the choice to keep her secret.
- She Cleans Up Nicely: When Tom sees Shannon in a party dress and without her glasses for the first time, his reaction is textbook tactless.
- Supernatural Gold Eyes: Whenever a wolfblood gets close to transforming their eyes turn yellow, similar to a wolf's.
- Super Senses: Comes with being a Wolfblood. You can see smell trails!
- Then taken even higher with their "Eolas" sense: they can see, hear, and smell everything around them, even from miles away! However, this sense has two major drawbacks: being near manmade objects (especially the louder ones) hurts them badly, and it's incredibly addictive. There's a good reason why tame Wolfbloods are forbidden from using it.
- Tainted Veins: As with Supernatural Gold Eyes above a side effect of pre-transforming.
- Theme Naming: Lampshaded - three girls whose names all begin with "K" form a clique, so everyone calls them "the Three Ks".
- The Nose Knows: Wolfbloods have incredibly an incredibly keen sense of smell, being based off of wolves.
- Too Dumb to Live: Despite knowing precisely what it is, Shannon stands in the middle of a cloud of predator scent lure she is enthusiatically spraying around. Cue the arrival of an extremely aggressive wild Wolfblood enraged by the scent and if Maddy hadn't intervened to fight her off, it would not have ended well for Shannon.
- Troubled, but Cute: Rhydian.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: Jimmy