Series: Mind of Mencia
Mind of Mencia (2005-2008) is a Comedy Central sketch comedy show starring comedian Carlos Mencia. The skits were usually geared toward controversial topics. Mind of Mencia can be seen as a Spiritual Successor to Chappelle's Show.Needs a Better Description
This series provides examples of:
- Acceptable Targets: George W. Bush came under fire more than a few times.
- Catch Phrase: "Dee dee dee!" Used to indicate mental retardation or just plain stupidity.
- Charlie and the Chocolate Parody: "Guilt Away Island" which was an amusement park-like place meant to help white people feel less guilty about all the horrible stuff their ancestors did to other races by making them do things like pick cotten candy out of a field in a way similar to the how the slaves did or going on "rides" that made them swim through shark-infested waters or ride in the trunk of a car crossing the border.
- Flanderization: Dave Chappelle's comedy used edgy material to deconstruct and subvert racism. Carlos Mencia mostly just replicates stereotypes for shock value. This is basically what Chappelle was afraid of happening with his own comedy (i.e. the "Race Pixies").
- Follow the Leader: This is one of the many shows Comedy Central produced to try and recreate the success of Chappelle's Show.
- No Periods, Period: Averted with an ipod no less. ("Fergie, Panic At The Disco... dude, your ipod isn't broken... its on its period!") Also, one of the cartoon shorts based on Carlos own childhood had him learn about periods when his sister got her first one.
- Surrounded by Idiots: A huge part of Mencia's comedy is ranting about how stupid different people are.