Los 80 ("The 80s") is a Chilean series about the life of the Herrera, a Chilean middle class family living in Chile during the 1980s. The family consists of the father Juan, the mother Ana, their young adult children Claudia and Martín, their pubescent boy Felix and, from the season 2 finale, their baby girl Ana.
The series focuses on how they are affected by the context of the decade, specially the right-wing dictatorship of UsefulNotes/AugustoPinochet, who was in power between 1973 and 1990. They experience events and processes such as the deregulation of the economy, leading to the big 1982 crisis, the human rights violations perpetrated by the regime, the confrontation between the government and the clandestine opposition groups, the increase of working women, etc.
!! Los 80 contains examples of:
* AdultFear: Juan and Ana are afraid Claudia might get hurt or killed because she is an tenacious opponent to Pinochet.
* AnnoyingYoungerSibling: How Martín sees Felix.
* BerserkButton: Lazyness for Juan, not being listened or respected for Ana and anything somehow near communism for Mr. Genaro.
* BecomingTheMask: Pedro gets atached to the Herrera in a creepy way.
* BetaCouple: Exequiel and Nancy.
** At season 5 Martín and Paola take that role.
* BenevolentBoss: Mr. Farid for Juan and prior to the series Juan for Exequiel (To the point they are best friends when they get fired).
* BewareTheNiceOnes: Pedro.
* BreakoutCharacter: Bruno starts being just Felix smart sidekick, but he became very popular and started having his own story arcs.
* ButtMonkey: Juan. [[spoiler: PlayedForDrama in the fifth season.]]
* CharacterDevelopment: Martin started as a right-wing war pilot wanabee. At season two [[spoiler:he is injured so he can't be in the airforce anymore]], now he is more opened to his artistic side and working as a cameraman for a left-wing independent station.
* ComingOfAge: This for Felix, who starts as a really cute and innocent kid and along with growing up begins to get the suffering around him.
* DarkerAndEdgier: Season 4.
* ADeathInTheLimelight: [[spoiler: Mr. Farid starts getting more scenes at season 5, but he dies on the third episode.]]
* DemotedToExtra: Nancy on season 5.
* DysfunctionalFamily: Played with, specially with Juan and Ana's relationship.
* EvilUncle: [[spoiler:Pedro can be that, except he is not really the uncle but a CNI spy.]]
* ExactlyWhatItSaysOnTheTin: It is set on the 80s.
* GoodGirlsAvoidAbortion: Although Paola didn't want to become a mother, she keeps the baby.
* GoodParents: Juan and Ana, also Nancy.
* IAmNotMyFather: Big deal for Juan, whose father was TheAlcoholic and sent to prison during Juan's childhood.
* JerkWithAHeartOfGold: Mr. Genaro.
* JustFriends: Sorry Felix, but Camila doesn't owe you affection.
* KilledOffForReal: [[spoiler:Gabriel, Pedro and Mr. Farid.]]
* LaResistance: How the Frente Patriótico Manuel Rodriguez is portrayed.
* LukeIMightBeYourFather: [[spoiler:Mr. Genaro reveals Petita that he is his real father when he thinks is dying. When he gets better, he denies it.]]
* MyBelovedSmother: Ana shows mild traces of this with Claudia and Martin.
* OneSteveLimit: Juan's father and brother share the same name, although for the last one it's probably a fake name.
* PluckyComicRelief: Mr. Genaro and Petita.
* SecondLove: Gabriel becomes that for Claudia after she breaks up with Francisco.
* TookALevelInKindness: Gabriel. Lampshaded by Claudia [[spoiler:shortly before he dies]].
** Also Martín as he grows more mature.
* TheyReallyDoLoveEachOther: Some scenes between Martín and Claudia or Martín and Felix.
* ThoseTwoGirls: Claudia's friends at Med School.
* WeUsedToBeFriends: Felix and Bruno on the fifth season.
* WhamEpisode: The episode when is revealed that [[spoiler:Gabriel is part of the Frente.]]