Comedy Bang! Bang! is a comedy series based on the podcast of the same name (formerly Comedy Death Ray Radio) hosted by Scott Aukerman and supplied with music by a succession of co-hosts/bandleaders (originally Reggie Watts, who left midway through Season 4 to serve as bandleader for The Late Late Show; he was replaced by Kid Cudi, who in turn was replaced by "Weird Al" Yankovic for the fifth and final season). The show is largely a satire/deconstruction of late-night talk show tropes and television in general, featuring surreal interviews with real celebrities as well as fake ones (the latter often portrayed by Aukerman's fellow Mr. Show alumnus Paul F. Tompkins), framed by all manner of wacky subplots.
This show contains examples of the following:
- Ascended Extra: Before he became the bandleader for Season 5, "Weird Al" was a frequent guest star.
- Conspiracy Theorist: The podcast features a parody of Jesse Ventura played by James Adomian who's a crazy conspiracy theorist.
- Couch Gag: When Scott Aukerman introduces himself, the caption always gets it wrong, like Shop Talkerman or Flop Chonkenton.
- Felony Misdemeanor: In one episode, Scott is hauled off by the FBI, thrown in jail and nearly executed...for opening a piece of mail that was actually addressed to Reggie.
- Seers: The "Cake Boss" got the power/curse to see into the future after he got bitten by a cake bug. He then sees how Scott dies: the cake boss cracks his skull open with a baseball bat when he won't stop talking about how much he likes pie more than cake.
- Serkis Folk: In the "Weird Al" Yankovic episode, it is revealed that almost the entire show was green-screened, including the food in the cooking segment, the clothes, and the guests.