Beware of unmarked SPOILERS as characters tend to say names in poignant moments
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows:
- Ron repeatedly shouts Hermione's name as she is being tortured by Bellatrix Lestrange.
- Ginny screams Harry's name when she sees him apparently dead in Hagrid's arms.
- The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe: Susan calls Peter's name (he's her eldest brother) in fear when he's battling Maugrim.
- A Song of Ice and Fire:
- Jack Higgins's (writing as James Graham) The Wrath of God: Emmett Keogh was already kicking ass in a fight with a bandit. Then he took his eyes off his apparently beaten opponent for a moment, the villain got up with a knife and Emmett's mute girlfriend found her voice for the first time in five years, screaming his name in warning. That gave Keogh such a charge that the bandit threw away his knife before turning and running.
- Wuthering Heights: Heathcliff calls Catherine's name when he begs her ghost to appear to him when he was told by Mr Lockwood that she haunted him.
Heathcliff: Come in! come in! Cathy, do come. Oh, do—once more! Oh! my heart's darling! hear me this time, Catherine, at last!
- The Wheel of Time: Rand shouts "RAAAHVIIIN! after Rahvin kills Mat and Aviendha.
- In The Hunger Games, after the announcement that both tributes from the same district will be declared victors if they are the last ones alive, Katniss calls out Peeta's name, then immediately scolds herself for fear that someone might have heard.
- In And I Darken Lada screams Mehmed's name (while stabbing her knife into a table) after she receives a letter informing her of his imminent death, after parting on terrible terms.
- Happens all the time in The Bible:
- In the time of Seth, "man began to call on the name of the LORD".
- Usually, God initiates some kind of Call to Adventure by calling out a name twice. (Abraham, Abraham; Moses, Moses; Saul, Saul; etc.)
- Mary didn't recognize the resurrected Jesus until He called her name.
- Sometimes names are also called as part of a What the Hell, Hero? speech.
- From May Bird, the villain Bo Cleevil screams May Bird's name when she's escaping him after shooting him in the hand with a magical arrow. It's so loud that it rattles the whole building.