Destination: Equestria is the central canon of Ponychan's (A My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
imageboard) /rp/, or roleplay
, board. Despite being themed around My Little Pony, it has numerous crossover characters from various media
. It is, in essence, a Mega Crossover
mess, but an enjoyable one nontheless.
D:E, as it's abbreviated, was born early on in Ponychan's history when the first crossover character appeared, posting in that character's format. The earliest of these characters not from the MLP show were Karkat
, Marceline the Vampire Queen
, and Statler and Waldorf
, who often acted as Trolls
either in pretend or in actuality. One of the earliest semblances of this canon was a Statler and Waldorf vs. Rarity series, which helped to promote the idea of roleplaying non-pony characters and interact with both pony and other non-pony characters. There eventually became such a saturation of these types of posters, they were moved to the /rp/ board, which was scheduled for deletion at the time. There these posters continued the creation and expansion of their random adventures under a broad, general canon. It was eventually named after several developments on the board to help differentiate other canons (yes they exist) from one another, and was named based on all the immigrant characters.
Drama is expected (like all roleplaying forums and real life
). You Have Been Warned
The following characters have appeared in the canon. Not all are necessarily still present.
Provides examples of:
- Adventure-Friendly World
- Both played straight and inverted, as some adventures have been known to get messy and downright cruel, depending on who's participating and leading the adventures.
- Alternate Universe / Alternate Dimension: Where some characters come from.
- The Amazon: Everfree Forest.
- Attempted Rape:
- Attempted rape sometimes occurs in shipping threads. Occasionally someone overdoes it and gets banned.
- Big Bad:
- A series of threads occurred which focused on RPers battling a big boss Battle.
- A couple of RPs that have a storyline feature a Big Bad that's causing the trouble at hand.
- Canon Discontinuity:
- When you've got the entire Son line from Dragon Ball living at once, there's at least a little discontinuity.
- Canon Welding
- Casual Time Travel: Relatively common in the early days, now almost entirely averted.
- Character Overlap
- Characterization Marches On: More than a few people create characters with a rough outline of their personalities, then let them develop through roleplay. This can lead to a character's "final" personality being far different from how they were initially.
- City of Adventure: Ponyville.
- Also Cloudsdale and Canterlot have been subjected to this several times.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Occasionally. Crossover characters in particular tend to come from places less friendly than Equestria.
- Debut Queue: Justified.
- Drama Bomb:
- Some players are prone to kicking their own characters in the face on a regular basis. Sudden death (either killing off their main character or a close friend or relative), miscarriage, adultery, begging in the streets...you name it.
- Easing Into the Adventure: Both played straight and averted. Some adventures are eased into. Others just blatantly take off on a whim.
- Everyone Meets Everyone
- Expanded Universe: Heavily fuelled by the countless amount of fanon from the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic fanbase as well as the expanded universes of all crossover characters.
- Good Guy Bar: A lot of places wind up becoming this from the high density of hero characters.
- Inverted with The Cross Bones Bar: founded by a sadistic, evil character named Shade Shatterer, random NPC characters were brought in at random to be cut up, maimed, and even eaten.
- And then played straight again when Shade turned good - the Crossbones is now a friendly bar that attracts all sorts of characters.
- High School AU: The Destination: High School canon on the same website.
- I Choose to Stay: Often.
- Intercontinuity Crossover: And how. There is practically no limit to this, in any direction on any scale.
- Lawful Stupid:
- A few of the hero type characters embrace this trope as if it were their long lost brother.
- Mostly averted by the Royal Guard characters.
- Les Yay: A fair bit of the shipping done features lesbian couples.
- The Little Shop That Wasn't There Yesterday: Often done when someone wants a new chill thread or when their character wants to start a shop or store. Pizza Parlours, restaurants, record stores, candy shops, ect. They all randomly come and go.
- Magical Land: Equestria.
- Mega Crossover: Just take a look at the list of imported characters.
- Naďve Newcomer: Common with crossover characters.
- Offscreen Rebuilding: Ponyville town hall gets bombed? It's fixed in the next thread.
- Firebombed in a thread revolving around a water balloon fight, no less.
- Our Liches Are Different: The Requiem arc.
- Team Up Series: In battles.
- Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny:
- Welcome Episode: Common, given the long-running history of the canon.
- As well as being how a good number of characters and newcomers introduce themselves to the /rp/ board.
- You All Meet in a Bar: Or some other form of food serving place. Cross Bones, Baffle's Blender, and O'Random's are common versions of this trope.