- Borrowed Catchphrase: Joey's Copycat card gives him the ability to weaponize this trope, much to Bandit Keith's dismay.
- Informed Ability: This episode gleefully deconstructs Mai Valentine's "Elite Duelist" status by showcasing her awful losing streak.
- Joke Character: Yami gives Joey's continued use of the Baby Dragon card as an example of one of the many reasons why he will never be a good duelist.
- Melodrama: Parodied on this week's episode of "Zorc and Pals".Bakura: Zorc! What's wrong? Why haven't you destroyed the world?Zorc: Because I have a terminal disease!Bakura: But you can't die! What about our adoptive daughter? Who's going to take care of her when you're gone?
- Take That: Mako describes his duel with Yugi as being "just like the ending of Pirates of the Caribbean 2, except this was actually satisfying".
- They Do: Mako and the ocean.
- Wearing a Flag on Your Head: Bandit Keith names the trope by citing Joey's failure to do this as the reason that he cannot possibly be American.