Recap / Xena S 0 E 21 The Greater Good
When Xena is hit with a poisoned dart, Gabrielle must disguise herself as the warrior princess in a plan to save Salmoneus from being killed by the warlord Talmadeus.
- Bring Help Back: Subverted. With Xena seemingly dead, Gabrielle intends to have the town barricade itself while she goes to Labottie (where Iolaus is said to be). However, Gabrielle doesn't make it very far and comes back to stop Talmadeus from desecrating Xena's body.
- Bullying a Dragon: Salmoneus got on Talmadeus's bad side by selling his army questionable swords and belt buckles. He didn't tell them the material was made of talcamite, which dissolves in water.
Salmoneus: Well, how did I know it was gonna rain on the big battle?! Anyway, the swords and belt buckles melted.
Gabrielle: One big, naked defeat?
Salmoneus: It wasn't pretty.
- Buxom Is Better: Lampshaded. After putting on Xena's outfit, Gabrielle has problems with the breastplate—saying it's a little big for her and that it needs some tightening.
- Early-Bird Cameo: The unidentified blonde who hit Xena with the dart will be formally introduced in the next episode. She's certainly not a major villain who'll appear in multiple episodes.
- Fake Ultimate Hero: Lord Seltzer is beloved as a wonderful, unselfish man. He's, of course, Salmoneus.
- Fire-Forged Friends: Gabrielle and Argo reach an understanding through this crisis.
- The one who hit Xena with the dart was a blonde warrior woman with a distinctive Leitmotif.
- After all the talk of Xena having died, viewers can see her hand twitch.
- Heartbroken Badass: Out in the woods, Gabrielle reacts to Xena's apparent death by repeatedly banging her staff against a tree and crying.
- Hidden Depths: Salmoneus is devastated by Xena's supposed death and later offers to surrender himself to Talmadeus in exchange for the townspeople being left alone.
- I Lied: After getting Xena's body, Talmadeus reveals he intends to sell the townspeople into slavery.
- It's Personal: Talmadeus's quest to get Salmoneus.
"This man's blood is mine, not Xena's. He made defeat out of certain victory; he made a fool of my army; he made a fool of me! If I have to go through a dozen Xena's to get my hands on his scrawny neck, I will!"
- Last Request: Xena tells Gabrielle she wants to be buried next to her brother, Lyceus.
- Not Quite Dead: Xena appears to have died from the poison. Actually, she willingly went under, as that's the best way to fight it off its effects.
- Opening Shout-Out: Gabrielle getting dressed up in Xena's armor directly mimics the same sequence from the show's theme song.
- Pre-Asskicking One-Liner: "Don't you ever touch my horse again."
- Screaming Warrior: Gabrielle's first attempt to imitate Xena's yell has to be heard to be believed. She gets better, though.