- Continuity Nod: Callisto is seen emerging from the gateway—referencing her appearance in the "Armageddon Now" two-parter on Hercules The Legendary Journeys. Xena remarks she heard about that story, including how Strife died.
- The Dreaded: When Ares demands every soldier be summoned for the coming fight, the warlord meekly says, "But this is Dahak and his daughter!"
- It's Personal: Ares wants to settle the score with Callisto for what happened to Strife.
- Negated Moment of Awesome: Ares tells one of his warlords to: "Summon every warlord, every soldier, all who ever professed allegiance to me. I am Ares God of War." Then Dahak promptly appears and Ares immediately surrenders.
- Oh Crap!: Ares when he lays eyes on Dahak's flame.
- Shrouded in Myth: Crossed with Demonization. According to Serafin, Hope's mother is known in their religion as "the Betrayer.""We were never told her name because it was said that to speak it was obscene blasphemy."
- Villain Team-Up: Ares sides with Dahak, Hope, and (by extension) Callisto.
- Villain with Good Publicity: Hope's followers sincerely believe she would bring happiness and peace to the world.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: Xena, Gabrielle, and Ares initially believe the cultists are worshiping Callisto, only to learn it's Hope.