Recap: Transformers Prime S 2 E 17 Out Of The Past
Warning, spoilers!The episodes begins In Medias Res (of a sort) as a captive Arcee is dragged by a pair of Vehicons before Starscream. Starscream has intercepted an encrypted transmission and wants Arcee's access codes to decrypt it. When Arcee refuses, he tries to force her to comply by threatening another Autobot he has captured... Cliffjumper.Arcee has been having a flashback to an incident on Cybertron as Miko and Ratchet try to help a recovering Bulkhead regain full use of his legs. Though concerned for her friend, Miko is pushing Bulkhead hard to recover, enough to make Ratchet protest. In frustration, Miko stalks off to the top of the mesa to brood.Arcee decides to come up after her. She tries to tell Miko not to be too hard on herself or her friends because of their situation, something she knows all about after what happened to bot Tailgate and Cliffjumper. Arcee tells Miko about what happened shortly after losing Tailgate.The previous flashback continues as Cliffjumper is thrown into a cell with Arcee. She is put off by his talkativeness as he searches for a way out. Meanwhile, Starscream and Soundwave discuss their failure to extract the information. Soundwave suggests that they take them to Kaon and get assistance, but Starscream is reluctant to share his glory. Soundwave throws back a recording of his own words saying how important the information is, and Starscream relents. The two are brought to Kaon and introduced to their new interrogator: Shockwave.Using a cortical psychic patch, Shockwave extracts the codes from Arcee's mind, seemingly taking her offline. The encrypted message is from Optimus Prime, giving his location on Earth and calling for other Autobots to join him. Shockwave has been working on rebuilding a Space Bridge, and Starscream plans to drop his forces right on top of Prime. Arcee, who was faking being offlined, frees herself and manages to rescue Cliffjumper (using his big mouth as a distraction), and find out the location of Shockwave's Space Bridge. Cliffjumper and Arcee manage to get to the bridge and sabotage it, using it to jump to Earth. Shockwave tries to stop them in the middle of the Space Bridge, but Arcee defeats him and they make it to Earth just as the Space Bridge collapses, seemingly leaving Shockwave mid-transit.On Earth, Arcee finally comes to accept Cliffjumper's friendship and officially makes him her partner as they set off to find Optimus Prime.
- Call Forward: "The old-fashion way" in which Starscream intends to kill Cliffjumper is how he actually did it in the first episode.
- Continuity Nod: Shockwave is revealed have invented the cortical psychic patch when he uses it on Arcee to extract the encryption code from her mind.
- Cliffjumper says that Earth reminds him of the time he was trapped in the Sea of Rust back on Cybertron.
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: Miko is being this to Bulkhead, early in the episode.
- Arcee actually calls her out on it by name.
- Eye Scream: During the final stand-off, Arcee blasts Shockwave in his eye.Cliffjumper: Whoo! Bull's eye!
- Flashback Within a Flashback: During the main flashback, there's a brief flashback to the flashback from "Predatory" (Airachnid killing Tailgate).
- Heroic BSOD: The flashbacks show Arcee still struggling over Tailgate's death.
- Hidden Depths: For most of the episode, Cliffjumper is a fun-loving guy, but he demonstrates a strong compassionate side.Cliffjumper: Arcee, I know it's rough. I really do.
Arcee: I don't know what you're talking about.
Cliffjumper: Tailgate. Closing yourself off from feeling won't help anyone.
- Meaningful Echo: "Closing yourself off from feeling won't help anyone."
- Motor Mouth: Cliffjumper
- No One Could Survive That: Discussed after the collapsing space bridge portal seemingly destroys Shockwave, who Season 3 reveals did survive.Arcee: Think Shockwave survived?
Cliffjumper: Hope so. I want a re-match.
- The Other Darrin: Cliffjumper is voiced by Billy Brown rather Dwanye Johnson, who voiced him in the first episode.
- Trailers Always Lie: The teaser heavily featured the line "Cliffjumper is back!" ...neglecting to mention it was a flashback episode.
- Tsundere: In the flashback, the idea of working with a new partner, Cliffjumper or otherwise, does not bode well with Arcee.
- Unexplained Recovery: The previous episode, "Hurt", had Bulkhead in a deep stasis lock; here, he's seen walking about. Though he isn't one-hundred-percent recovered from his injuries, the dialogue from the last episode seemed to indicate he was going to be out for longer than this, not to mention Ratchet explicitly mentioning he would never be fully functional again. However, it's possible a lot of time has passed between "Hurt" and "Out Of The Past".
- Whole Episode Flashback: This episode shows how Cliffjumper became Arcee's partner and how the two came to Earth and joined Team Prime.