- A Day in the Limelight: This is the only episode in which John takes part in a rescue. Unfortunately, poor John doesn't really get to do much.
- Artistic License – Chemistry: Alsterene and OD-60 react when they get close to each other; first they create a static that can interfere with radio waves, and when they get close enough they cause a huge explosion.
- Offscreen Moment of Awesome: Early on in the epsode, Scott, Virgil and Gordon leave to answer to a distress call from Hawai'i. We don't get to see the rescue, but upon returning all three of them are covered in dirt and their hair is a mess, suggesting it was pretty intense.
- Ominous Fog: the mist surrounding the place where the OD-60 is located.
- Sacrificial Lamb: The crew on the first Ocean Pioneer.
- Seadog Beard: The captain of Ocean Pioneer II.
Recap / Thunderbirds S 1 E 19 Danger At Ocean Deep
Ocean Pioneer, a new automated chemical tanker, sails into a bank of mysterious fog and explodes, apparently without cause. A year later, Ocean Pioneer II, christened by Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward herself, casts off from Southampton. Investigating the original explosion, Brains discovers that a freak reaction between the tanker's cargo of liquid alsterene and the sea fungus OD-60 is responsible for Ocean Pioneer I's demise. Thunderbirds 1 and 2 speed to the rescue as Ocean Pioneer 2 enters another fog bank....