This episode provides examples of
- Delaying Action: Leo and Don fight the Shredder so Raph can get an injured Mikey to safety
- Gone Horribly Wrong: Said by Mortu when the Turtles get trapped in the virtual reality program
- Gratuitous Japanese: The Shredder is addressed by a minion as "dono-sama", which is roughly translatable as 'lord'. Its a title that was used in feudal Japan, which the episode in a way took place in. But its still a bit out of place when you consider the rest was spoken in English.
- Improvised Weapon: The Turtles make themselves weapons out of bamboo canes.
- Shout-Out: Don makes one to The Matrix when Leo alters the virtual reality world with his mind.Don: Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you Neo-uh, I mean Leo.
- Your Mind Makes It Real/ Holodeck Malfunction: The Utrom virtual reality program becomes much less 'virtual' once Stockman's through with it...