Season 5, Episode 9
The Real GhostbustersWritten by Eric Kripke and Nancy Weiner.Directed by James L. Conway.Air Date: November 12, 2009.Sam and Dean are called in by Chuck on an urgent case. When they arrive, it turns out that Becky from "Sympathy for The Devil" (S05, E01) called them using Chuck's phone. They have arrived at the first annual Supernatural convention. Of course, a ghost turns out to really be there...
Body countFor this episode = 1 Human, 4 ghosts.For the series so far = At least 324 humans (of which 6 were witches), at least 83 demons, 28 ghosts, 11 vampires, 6 changelings, 4 gods, 3 shapeshifters, 3 zombies, 4 angels, 2 ghouls, 2 werewolves, 1 cat, 1 crocotta, 1 djinn, 1 dog, 1 rakshasa, 1 rawhead, 1 reaper, 1 rugaru, 1 shtriga, 1 siren, and 1 wendigo.
- And You Thought It Was a Game: Conventiongoers think the ghosts are just cosplaying
- Axe Crazy: The three children, who murdered Leticia's son and continued their scalping rampage in the present until their bones are burned. Leticia also goes crazy after her son is killed, murders the kids who did it and then kills herself.
- Cassandra Truth
- Creepy Child
- Creepy Shadowed Undereyes: The three orphans.
- Embarrassing Ringtone: The evil spirit children trapped Sam and Dean along with many patrons at a hotel convention. To get the spirits to free everyone, Sam and Dean recruited an actress to play the ghost of the stern, turn-of-the-century school mistress (who Sam and Dean mistakenly banished earlier) to scare the ghost boys into releasing the hold on the hotel. Everything was going well until the actress' cell phone rang with a jaunty hip-hop tune. Cue her Oh Crap! moment as the evil spirit children smiled menacingly, realizing she wasn't the school mistress and they had no reason to be scared.
- Evil Orphan: The three orphan ghosts.
- Fandom Nod: The episode is chock-full of references to the fandom, including "Got salt?" T-shirts.
- Fangirl: Sam and Dean's number one fan makes a return.
- Ho Yay: Invoked. There even is a panel on "the Homoerotic Subtext in Supernatural".
- Parodied with the Sam and Dean LARPers, who are later revealed to actually be a gay couple.
- I Need a Freaking Drink: Sam and Dean's reaction to the LARPers.
- Jumping the Shark: Discussed In-Universe. "It's not jumping the shark if you never come back down."
- Kids Are Cruel: The three orphans were responsible for the death of another child.
- Lampshade Hanging
- Live-Action Role-Play
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Sam and Dean burn Leticia's bones only to realize that she was trying to stop the real Monster of the Week.
- Retcon: Becky explains that Bela actually gave the Colt to Crowley instead of Lilith. Justified in that she effectively did, and Lilith would most likely send a henchman to get one of the few weapons that could kill her. The show has also lampshaded Bela's propensity to twist the truth.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: A fan's reaction when he is attacked by a real ghost.
- Take That, Fandom!
- Un-Canceled: In-Universe. Thanks to a wealthy Scandinavian investor, the Supernatural books can resume publication! Averted when Sam threatens to come after Chuck with weapons if he starts publishing again.Sam: We have guns and we'll find you.
- Your Costume Needs Work
- Your Princess Is in Another Castle