Athar provides all that we need.
— Chaya Sar, High Priestess of Athar
The episode opens with the team desperately flying a puddle jumper away from a few Wraith darts, just when it looks like it's all over, a huge ball of lightning passes through the ships.
The darts are destroyed, and the jumper is unaffected. The team lands on the surface to investigate the mysterious weapon but the natives they meet seem to have no idea what they're talking about, praising the local deity "Athar" for the rescue.
One thing leads to another, and we meet High Priestess Chaya Sar whom Sheppard promptly falls in love with. Chaya is invited back to Atlantis in the hopes of discovering exactly what the lightning was and perhaps finding a way to use "Athar's power" to defend the city.
McKay is distrustful of Chaya, due to her suspiciously flawless health and the ability to activate an ancient device. Chaya and Sheppard go on a picnic and make out for a bit.
During a meeting the next day McKay, with permission from Weir, discreetly scans Chaya to ascertain whether or not she is what she claims to be. Midway through the meeting, Chaya calls him out on it but McKay counters, calling her out on being an ancient, calling it "The only logical explanation". To everyone's surprise, Chaya admits it.
After experiencing visions of the Wraith attacking her homeworld, Chaya runs trough the stargate to defend her people. John chases after her in a puddle jumper and arrives in time to see the Wraith forces being wiped out.
On the planet, Sheppard and Chaya (or is it Athar?) have a heart to heart wherein she explains protecting the planet from the wraith caused her to be exiled from the ancients, and her punishment for that is to protect only
this planet. Sheppard and Chaya share their souls and the screen fades to black.
- Blunt Yes: Sheppard's response to Teyla's incredulity.
Sheppard: "I am an ambassador and she is a diplomat."
Teyla: "On a late night ... picnic?"
- Boldly Coming: Lampshaded mercilessly by McKay.
It is very 1967
- And then again, later
Oh my God! He is Kirk
- Love at First Sight: Sheppard and Chaya. Lampshaded by McKay with an eye roll
McKay: "You got Sheppard to watch her? That's like asking the fox to guard the henhouse!"
- Mayfly-December Romance: Sheppard and Chaya
- Outgrown Such Silly Superstitions: Definitely McKay's approach, which he takes a lot of flack for. This episode is one of those weird unclassifiables, in that, while the people of Proculus are being deceived, they also really are protected and cared for by a nigh-omnipotent being.
- Chaya however isn't bothered by it at all. When Sheppard apologises for McKay's behaviour, she points out that McKay is simply acting according to his beliefs, making him no different from her people who act according to theirs.
- Perfect Health: Chaya's is cause for concern
- Really 700 Years Old
- Stock Episode Titles: 41 uses