Recap: Star Trek Deep Space Nine S 07 E 23 Extreme Measures
When Director Sloan arrives to destroy the supposed cure for the morphogenic virus, Bashir and O'Brien capture the wily spy. But before they can extract information about the real cure, Sloan activates a suicide implant. Bashir and O'Brien are now in a race against time to find the antidote in the depths of Sloan's subconscious mind before he dies, and takes the Dynamic Duo with him.
Tropes in this episode:
- And Now For Something Completely Different: This episode focuses on a single storyline, as opposed to switching between several threads.
- Batman Gambit: Bashir has a forcefield Booby Trap waiting, know that Sloan will do his Trespassing to Talk intro. When Sloan claims not to know the cure, Bashir points out that he'd need to know what he was looking for while searching Bashir's files. Just blowing up his Sickbay would be too unsubtle and uncertain.
- Big "WHAT?!": Sisko's reaction to Bashir's theory that Section 31 infected Odo with the changeling virus.
- Call Back: Odo refers back to Bareil's death.
- Chekhov's Gun: Bashir mentions reading A Tale of Two Cities early in the episode. When he returns to it later on and discovers the opening line midway through the book, he realizes all is not as it seems.
- Hard Work Montage: O'Brien setting up the gizmos to link himself and Bashir with Sloan.
- How Dare You Die on Me!: Bashir refuses to let Sloan die before revealing the cure.
- Journey to the Center of the Mind: A very twisted mind at that.
- Lured Into a Trap: Sloan. Even he can barely believe it.
- Not So Different: Bashir is using an illegal and quite sinister method in order to do what he believes is right. Sloan was on to something when he wanted to recruit him for Section 31... But now, he calls Bashir a "dangerous man" instead - which, from Bashir's perspective, would certainly apply to Sloan himself.
- Other Me Annoys Me: A bizarre variation—just as Sloan is about to give Bashir the cure for Odo, another Sloan shoots him.
- Out-Gambitted: Sloan finally gets out-played.
- Shame If Something Happened: Sloan tries to pull this regarding O'Brien's family, but Bashir tells him to shut up.
- Snipe Hunt: Sloan appears with another mission for Bashir, designed to get him off the station while Sloan finds the cure. Bashir has other ideas.
- Stealth Pun: The part of Sloan's mind that refuses to give up the cure looks like the Defiant.
- Suicide Pill: A neural implant, but still.
- Taking You with Me: Sloan attempts this on Bashir and O'Brien. Fortunately, The Power of Friendship wins out.
- This Is Gonna Suck: A variation—when Bashir tells Sisko that his plan involves using illegal Romulan mind probes on Sloan, the look on Sisko's face and his little "Oh" both say, "This is gonna be one of those plans."
- Trespassing to Talk: Sloan does this to Bashir—just like Bashir was expecting.
- Your Mind Makes It Real: Getting shot in Sloan's mind makes Bashir and O'Brien feel like they've really been shot.