Recap / Family Guy S 10 E 8 Cool Hand Peter
December 4, 2011
Peter, Quagmire, Cleveland, and Joe go on a road trip down South, but get arrested in the process. Meanwhile, with Peter gone, Lois has a drunken night at home with Bonnie and Donna.
Episode contains examples of:
- Big Damn Heroes: The group makes it back to Quahog, but the Sheriff follows them there with the deputies and intends to take them back. Joe called ahead, though, and the much larger Quahog police department surrounds Sheriff Nichols and the deputies.
- Bland-Name Product: After Peter and the guys escape from prison and get hungry thereafter, Peter hopes they pass by a McDaniels or a Burger King, parodies of McDonald's and Burger King respectively. Joe adds that he could really go for a Flame-Broiled Bopper from the latter, a parody of Burger King's Flame-Broiled Whopper.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Quagmire when he mentions that they're on TV.
- The Bus Came Back: Cleveland returns from Stoolbend note to go on a road trip with the guys.
- Corrupt Hick: Sheriff Nichols deliberately breaks the car's headlight and plants marijuana in the trunk. He and the warden also have no time keeping prisoners in the work camp past the specified sentence.
- Embarrassing Animal Suit: Getting drunk, Lois, Bonnie, and Donna force Brian into a bumblebee costume.
- Framing the Guilty Party: Of the unknown variety. Sheriff Nichols plants marijuana in the car right in front of the group. The others are outraged, but not Peter.
Peter: We had drugs?! Oh, my God, why am I drivin' drunk when I could've been drivin' high?!
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: Quagmire has a thought bubble about anal beads, but all we see are him just tugging on a line of beads.
Quagmire: We all know what's going on here. It's just implied, but we all know what's going on in this thought bubble. The kids don't know, but we do.
- Gone Horribly Right: Joe's Wounded Gazelle Gambit leads to him to seriously lament not being able to walk.
- Lampshade Hanging: After Peter, Quagmire, Joe, and Cleveland realize they're going to jail, the show's habit of ripping off The Simpsons is lampshaded in a Cutaway Gag where the guys are shown in court and their trial consists of numerous Simpsons characters. Peter views them as a jury of their peers, but Joe points out that they don't see it that way.
- "Yeah, you know it was gonna be hot when you heard that lonesome slide guitar and that hawk's cry."
- Misplaced Retribution: After Peter mouths off, it's Cleveland who gets punched.
Warden: [to Peter] Next time, that'll be you.
Cleveland: Well, why wasn't it him this time?
- Out of Focus: Stewie only has two lines total, one of which is in gibberish. Chris and Meg only appear towards the end and laugh but have no lines.
- Pay Evil unto Evil: Joe gets back at Sheriff Nichols by shooting him in the leg.
- Whole Plot Reference: To Cool Hand Luke.
- Wounded Gazelle Gambit: To escape, Joe deliberately falls out of his wheelchair and loudly insists he's got to get back in himself. When Peter asks what he's doing, Joe says that everyone always looks away in situations like these because it makes them uncomfortable. So, Joe continues to bemoan his difficulty in order to ensure the guards aren't looking when the group makes a run for it. It works, but a little bit too well, as Joe begins to seriously lament how he can't walk.