Recap / Cowboy Bebop Session 18 "Speak Like a Child"
During some downtime, a package suddenly arrives for Faye who flees thinking it's something from the debt collectors. Spike and Jet take a look inside and find its a betamax tape. Curious of it's content, the two set out to find a beta player which has long since gone obsolete in the future.
- Bittersweet Ending: The crew finally manage to get the equipment to play the tape and find it's a old home movie featuring Faye. But as she watches, Faye still can't recall her memory.
- Otaku: The old electronics store owner the two visit.
- Mood Whiplash: Most of the episode is fairly comedic then it gets to the end and changes to a more somber tone.
- Ruins of the Modern Age: Once again explored as Spike and Jet head to Earth to plunder a long sunken department store. Amazingly despite being flooded and derelict, some of the electronics are still intact and functional.
- "Shaggy Dog" Story: Spike and Jet bust their rumps visiting the ruins of an old department store. Only when they finally reach their goal, for Ed to reveal they had grabbed a VHS player which of course won't play Beta. Luckily another package arrival fixes that problem.
- Technology Marches On: Lampshaded. Videotape has become an obsolete tech in that era. And they can't tell between VHS and Betamax.