Recap / Big Finish Doctor Who CCS 8 E 5 The Beginning
Another tale told of how and why the Doctor and Susan left Gallifrey. It might not agree with some other stories
, but with the Doctor
, who knows? It can be true enough for now.
Part one of the Quadrigger Stoyn arc. Notable for starring original cast member Carole Ann Ford, and Terry "Davros" Molloy as Stoyn. Written by Marc Platt
and directed by Lisa Bowerman
- Foil: Quadrigger Stoyn, who wants to very much to return to Gallifrey, is this to the Doctor, who wants very much not to go there.
- Prequel: To the televised series.
- Retcon: Par for the course in Doctor Who. The Archaeons on the Moon are seeding the planetary body above them with lightning, which the Doctor determined they were using to nurture life in a controlled environment. This A) disagrees with the idea that Moon appeared when Silurian civilization was at its height (Though that was always nonsense.) and B) contradicts the origin of life on Earth as seen in City Of Death.
- Shapeshifter Mode Lock: One of the few times it's averted. The TARDIS is still in its original shape.
- Writing Around Trademarks: Susan never names who was the person who convinced the Doctor to switch TARDISes when escaping Gallifrey, partially because Big Finish didn't have the rights to use revival-era characters at the time this story was produced. However, The BBC (the trademark holders) asked for this to be added to the script to provide continuity with the 11th Doctor story and still keep their respective trademark statuses as they were.