"I'm like a radio show fiend, [but in] all the cultural podcasts I listened to, there was never my kind of Crazy Bitch. People didn't make sufficiently filthy jokes or covered the media I listened to, and absolutely no one ever said the words "gaping asshole", so clearly this was something we needed to fix."
"Ten points to Gryffindor!"
Started in August of 2011, /report
(originally Slash Cast, but that was taken) is a podcast done by slash fans, for slash fans. It's run by Pru (rageprufrock) and MK (mklutz) and discusses the major tropes of slash fandom, the biggest slashy shows, the goings-on, and what's worth reading in fandom. The duo are often joined by other fangirls for talks and sharing their feelings.
Topics vary from episode to episode, sometimes focusing on specific shows (such as Hawaii Five-0
), sometimes on a specific medium (Western Comics or YA novels), or sometimes on an aspect of fandom (Kink Memes, the Delicious Debacle of 2011). Episode discussions and slash goggled interpretations abound, and the show is often hilarious and almost always completely filthy.
Season Two has started recently (March 2011). Season One was 17 episodes.
Season One Episodes and Topics
- Inaugural episode, Slash Cast, before re-branding.
- Western comics (guest: The Hoyden)
- Sentinels, the fracturing of fandom with talk of Twitter and Tumblr, and the first Fannish Safari. (guests: twentysomething and Merelyn)
- The writing process, and kink memes and the pitfalls of anonymity. (guest: Leupagus)
- Rookie seasons (note! relisten to this one and get better summary)
- Beach, Pineapples, and Feelings (better known as Hawaii Five-0) and NCIS (guest: Leupagus)
- The Emergency Delicious Broadcast, after Delicious radically changed its interface, botching fandom's system of bookmarking.
- Episode discussions of Fringe, NCIS, The Good Wife, and The Dresden Files.
- Non-slash related talk about children's books and YA novels.
- Special Merlin episode.
- In-depth discussion of Yaoi and BL, including Female Gaze, the origin of yaoi, and the gender/consent inherent in the genre. (guest: Lianne Sentar)
- First edition of Author Talk with The Hoyden.
- Korean Drama with Pru and guest Til_Midnight. Discussion of specific examples, Stargate ruining Egyptology classes, and homosexuality-curing foods.
- Comic book discussion of DC, Marvel, and independent publishing companies, as well as comic writers and recs.
- Best and worst topics of 2011, including fanfic, fandoms, and media.
Season Two Episodes and Topics
Needs More Love
- Season Two premiere, all about Sherlock. Analysis of A Scandal in Belgravia, squee over Hound of the Baskerville, and crushing feels over The Reichenbach Fall.
- Mystery Slashreport 3000: an MST3K style commentary on the film "Inception."
- Video games with Lijaka and Yin.
- Author Talk with Cobweb_Diamond
- Podfic discussion with Pennyplainknits
- Martha Wells, Sciene Fiction and Fantasy
- Teen Wolf with The Hoyden. twentysomething and leupagus
- Mystery Slash Report 3000: an MST3K style commentary on the film "Ironman."
- Gender A Us with The Hoyden and twentysomething
- Avengers Assemble! with Merelyn
- The Good Wife
- Accidental Innuendo: Poor Lianne.
- Audience Participation: Outside the usual reader questions, /report holds Fannish Safari (convince people to look into your fandom in the shortest possible time) and Strong Like Ox Badfic Challenge (share stories of powering through the worst fanfic ever).
- Better Than Canon: MK and Pru both failed out of The Dresden Files canon hard, But MK loves the fic.
- Catchphrase: "I can't hold all these feels!" "Sharing our thoughts and feelings." "Challenge accepted."
- Pru's: "Fair warning."
- MK's: "Je refuse."
- Four Temperament Ensemble: MK seems to be Sanguine while Pru is Choleric. Guests sometimes fill other roles (The Hoyden may be Melancholic while Leupagus might be Phlegmatic).
- Guilty Pleasure: For everyone, H50. For MK, NCIS:LA.
- Hard Drinking Party Girl: Sometimes it's obvious everyone is having a bit of a party over the Skype chat, complete with cocktails.
- It's For A Fanfic: Author Talk with The Hoyden has many stories about terrible things everyone has done in the name of fanfic research.
- Kink Meme: The pros and cons of which are discussed at length.
- Mr. Seahorse: Pru's favorite genre, almost to the point of self-parody. If it exists, she's read it, "'cause I love babies!"
- Mutually Assured Destruction: Mentioned multiple times that Pru and MK know each other's loves and hates so much, if they ever had a falling out they would troll each other through strategic recs and tagging.
- Once an Episode: "We need to end this."
- Seinfeld Is Unfunny: Guest Lianne Sentar explains the beginning of yaoi and names several volumes. Pru points out that readers shouldn't look into them because, "the experience of reading them is like reading original zine form Star Trek original series fanfiction. You can almost see the Angelcity website."
- Useless Superpowers: MK has a few, including a super sense of smell.