Playing With: Whale Egg
Basic Trope: A creature that lays eggs... Except that, according to (Earthen) biology's rules, it shouldn't be supposed to do so!
Back to Whale Egg
- Straight: Alice, a human, lays an egg.
- Every single animal on planet Earth lays eggs!
- Bob, a male human, lays an egg.
- Right after Alice's mother laid her egg, it immediately hatched.
- A frog/fish lays a bunch of hard-shelled eggs.
- Due to genetic engineering, Alice's reproduction system causes her to lay eggs instead of giving live birth.
- Alice is from a planet where humans actually do lay eggs.
- Inverted: Alice's pet bird, Brenda, gives live birth.
- Turns out, that egg she laid was implanted in her so that she can feel what it's like to lay eggs.
- Alice tries to lay an egg, but fails.
- Double Subverted:
- However, she still lays eggs naturally.
- Once Alice was just about to give up, she successfully laid an egg.
- Parodied: Alice lays an egg that instantly grows to massive proportions.
- Zig Zagged: Alice lays an egg, which was implanted. She tries to lay another egg, but fails.
- Averted: Alice gives live birth.
- Lampshaded: "Yes, I really did lay this egg." "That's impossible." "I know. I did it anyway."
- Invoked: A tiny amount of radiation hits Alice, but all it does is make her lay eggs.
- Exploited: Alice uses her egg as an Improbable Weapon.
- Defied: Alice would have laid eggs if it wasn't for a tiny amount of radiation.
- Discussed: "...and she laid that egg!" "Really?"
- Conversed: "I'm puzzled. Why does Alice lay eggs when her species should give live birth?"
- Implied: Alice is shown with an egg.
- Plotted A Good Waste: "Hey! If our character lays eggs, a fanbase will arrive for her. It is usually unexpected, but...!"
- Played For Laughs:
- Alice's eggs can hatch into anything that can make the audience laugh.
- Alice lays an egg, and tries to protect it with all her might.
- Played For Drama: Alice dies due to laying her egg.
Back to Whale Egg