Playing With: Virgin Sacrifice
: A virgin, usually a woman, is required to be the subject of a Human Sacrifice
- Straight: Sarah, a virgin, is kidnapped by the evil Cult of D'yatghra to be used as a sacrifice to their evil god.
- Sarah has been groomed since birth by her parents to be a sacrifice; this includes steering her away from temptation and making sure no one... interferes with her virginity, by the simple expedience of ensuring that she never comes close enough to anyone to even touch them.
- In order to stand the best chance of ensuring that their sacrifice is a virgin, the cult sacrifices newborn babies.
- Sarah, a virgin, is chosen at birth to serve as the village god's priestess (and remain a virgin) for the rest of her life, whether she likes it or not.
- The sacrifice just needs a few drops of her blood, no killing necessary.
- Virgins have power.
- Alternately, the demon/dragon/volcano god/vampire/whatever is fearful of exposure to STDs in its victims/mates/lunch, and wants to play it safe.
- A woman who is not a virgin is required to be a human sacrifice.
- A virgin is required to commit a human sacrifice
- Double Subverted:
- Sarah claims not to be a virgin. She is lying.
- Or Sarah is a Technical Virgin, making her ignitable for the sacrifice.
- The cult requires the blood of a virgin... but not all of it. Meaning Sarah gets to have her blood shed for their dark god over and over again.
- A virgin sacrifice is needed. Unfortunately, the cult can't actually find a virgin, so they have to make do with Sarah, who isn't one. Sarah doesn't appreciate the insinuations and snide comments that she's been around the block a few times.
- A male virgin is used, with all the mocking of the sacrificial victim you'd expect. Hell, he may be happy to be killed rather than have to live with his shame.
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Averted: A virgin isn't specifically required for the sacrifice.
- Enforced: The writer is harking back to old myths and cultural practices.
- Lampshaded: "You know, if I'd known that saving myself for that special someone was going to get my heart ripped out and fed to some evil demon, I'd have probably decided not to wait."
- Invoked: The cult raises Sarah to be the perfect sacrifice by ensuring that she is a virgin from birth.
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: As soon as Sarah learns that she's the intended sacrifice, she starts finding way to ruin the ritual, even by having coitus sex with the nearest willing guy.
- Discussed: "You know, it's getting really hard to find virgins for our sacrifices these days..."
- Conversed: "How come it's always a virgin who's getting sacrificed in these stories? Do virgins have magic powers or something?"
- A virgin isn't really needed; it's just generations of rather sexually repressed tradition making its presence felt.
- Women break their hymens deliberately in order to assure their own safety.
- Reconstructed: Although a virgin might not necessarily be required, virgins nevertheless do possess certain inherent qualities which improve the sacrifice's chances of success.
Back to Virgin Sacrifice