: There is a noticeable power difference between two characters that are shipped, making one obviously dominant.
- Straight: Bob is Alice's teacher and the two are shipped together very often, despite the fact that Bob could easily blackmail her into sleeping with him.
- Downplayed: While Bob may be Alice's Bodyguard Crush, Alice can handle herself in a fight.
- Alice is wimpified.
- Bob and Alice, despite their differences in power and status, treat each other as equals.
- Inverted: Due to the nature of this trope, it's impossible to invert.
- Bob seems more powerful, but Alice turns out to be the long-lost heir to a vast fortune with many connections at her fingertips, which places her higher than Bob.
- Alice actually is the one with the power in the relationship, and she uses it to undermine his authority over her.
- Double Subverted: But then Alice loses that fortune, causing her and Bob to be right back at where they started.
- Fangirls draw yaoi fan art of Bob and God together, only to decide that Bob is too powerful for the pairing to work.
- The fans cry out that Bob and Alice are finally an Official Couple with no evidence to support this. When asked "why", they say that Bob is more powerful than Alice.
- Bob and Alice are also in an on-and-off again relationship.
- Bob and/or Alice keeps changing their position in power.
- The fandom switch back and forth between shipping Alice and Bob together to being against the Bob/Alice pairing.
- Averted: Bob and Alice have relatively equal status and power.
- Lampshaded: ???
- Invoked: Bob or Alice thinks Power Is Sexy and only goes for powerful (wo)men.
- Exploited: Bob blackmails Alice.
- Defied: Alice refuses to be in relationships with anyone who has power over her even if she really likes them.
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
Back to Unequal Pairing
, my servant.