Playing With: Tomato in the Mirror
Basic Trope: A character discovers they're not what they thought they were.
Back to Tomato in the Mirror
- Straight: Adele has been fighting invading aliens called Kschorkians - only to discover that she is a deluded Kschorkian in disguise.
- Not only is Adele a Kschorkian in disguise, but so is every human on the Earth.
- Adele is actually the Void King who has erased its memory and entered into the human society to undermine it from the inside.
- Adele discovers that she is actually a Kschorkian - and decides it doesn't matter, she's still going to keep fighting for humanity.
- Adele had been told that she had links to Kschorkians, but she never thought about the possibility about her actually being a member of them.
- Justified: Adele's role as a spy required for her to under go brainwashing to make her cover as realsitic as possible.
- Inverted: A Kschorkian turns out to be a human.
- It is heavily implied throughout the series that Adele is a Kschorkian - but, when put to the test, it proves that she is actually human.
- Adele looks in the mirror, and sees a Kschorkian, and her friends think this is a Tomato in the Mirror - but she's actually fully aware of what she is, and has only been waiting for a chance to turn on her 'friends.'
- Double Subverted:
- ...But then it turns out later that Adele faked the test because she was afraid of what the answer might be, and she's really a Kschorkian.
- ...Or Adele is only pretending to have been a conscious spy to cover up her horror at the revelation.
- Parodied: Adele looks in the mirror - and it turns out she's a tomato. Literally.
- Zig Zagged: Adele is implied to be a Kschorkian, and then it turns out she's not. But then it turns out she faked the test, and she's actually a Kschorkian. And then it turns out that that was a ruse by Bridgette to trick Adele. And then it turns out that Adele is indeed a Kschorkian, and Bridgette's ruse was unnecessary.
- Adele is just a human, and there's never any question of her having been a Kschorkian.
- Adele is a Kschorkian, but she and everyone else knew this, so it didn't have to be revealed.
- Enforced: "The audience believes Adele is really a Kschorkian, so let's go with that!"
- Lampshaded: "Oh, god, I'm a Kschorkian. I don't believe this. If this was a TV show, I'd call it a cheap piece of drama!"
- Invoked: The group fighting Kschorkians performs a test on all members to see if any are secretly Kschorkians; especially the ones with dubious memories.
- Exploited: An enemy of Adele's reveals she is a Kschorkian so that they have a chance to kill her while she goes into Heroic BSOD.
- Defied: Adele deliberately chooses never to test whether she's Kschorkian or human, because she doesn't want this to happen.
- Discussed: "I think one of us is a Kschorkian and doesn't even know it!"
- Conversed: "With all the twists and turns that have happened on this show, I wouldn't be surprised if Adele was a Kschorkian."
- Implied: "A notice to all staff: There is a Kschorkian among us. We have reason to believe that they are not hostile, however several groups will be cut off from information until anything can be confirmed."
- Played for Drama:
- The revelation that Adele is a Kschorkian all along shakes the faith of her erstwhile allies and tears them apart as each of them wonder who else is a Kschorkian.
- Adele is torn between loyalty to her people or to her human friends and allies.
Back to Tomato in the Mirror